I

The room was dark. Every auction room was. I sat between two girls I had never met before. They seem kind, and interesting enough, but they also looked like they were going to break at any moment. A broken friend is no friend, I know, and it wasn't like I had to talk and chat with anybody. They twiddled their thumbs nervously, biting their lips, and twirling their hair. All bad nervous habits.

I had learned to rid myself of those embarrassing, ungraceful habits. "Look sophisticated," the auctioneers had said, "Look professional." Over and over, it was, "You want to look ready. This is were you meet your master. Now do better than your best." It was always the auctioneers who wanted you to put on that fake smile and prance across the stage. I didn't want to, I never did. But a choice was something I didn't have. It was all for their money. Not mine. Not any of us slaves.

Ever since I was 16, the option to live my life was taken away. Vampires were the new Kings. Nobody likes it...except them. They kidnapped us, one by one. Our men and boys were killed, our women taken to sell into their slavery systems. Maids, personal ones, dirty chores, and assassinations; everything was done by a human girl, assigned by a vampire master.

I've never had a master. I never wanted one. When I was taken at the age of 16, it was literally a year of beauty supplies wasted on my poor skin and greasy hair. They began to take me to auctions at  17 so I would learn how to walk, what to say, and how to act. A few months later, I was the one to be auctioned off. Now, I was sitting, waiting for another one, after seven failed attempts. They were so mad at my last attempt where I purposefully fell off stage, that they threatened my life if I wasn't bought by somebody. So now, I was running through my head what was better; letting myself be punished by the slave system or being sold into slavery to some vampire I didn't know about to care about; one who will probably abuse me.

Slowly, as the scenes ran through my head, I watched the line in front of me slowly dissipate, growing smaller and smaller. The long line of girls was only a few in front now, and you could hear the masters throwing their money on stage to buy these puny human girls. Why they even wanted us, it was odd. Humans and vampires could have found a way to live in peace, but everybody knows that there will always the selfish upper hand to play.

My sister had been sold to a vampire that had mistreated her and left her for the dead. Granted, my sister had been 28 and a bit on the older side for slaves, but she had been beautiful girl with dark hair and crystal green eyes. Now, she was dead, and I didn't want the same fate for myself because of a stupid vampire and his money.

"Kim Areum"

My name was announced after the girl in front of me was gone. I headed onstage, mentally deciding I didn't want to die a slow death by the auctioneers as they sucked out all my blood. I tried to smile, waving my hand and walking the circular stage, but I think the vampires in the room could tell it was a fake act.

I wasn't an ugly face out there but I certainly wasn't like some of the girls. My brown hair was gorgeous and silky, and my eyes were hazel brown, but I was flat chested, and overly skinny. I looked unhealthy. It wasn't unusual for that to be the case. Most slaves are malnourished until bought, when even then they are starved.

"Any bids?" the man asked, making my face sour expression, "Were starting at 1,000."

The room was completely silent. I didn't want anybody to buy me, but staying with the auctioneers seemed risky. My facial expression caused a few chuckle, and I noticed a few uncertain hands almost raise. A man in the back of the room walked to the front. I noticed his thick, black hair, and precise red eyes immediately. The muscles ripples through his thin shirt, and the first thought that entered my head was, "Isn't he cold?"

My eyes widened as the audience member and potential bidder spoke up.

"1,000."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell me what you think in the comments! I started this story to see if anybody would like this, and potentially read it. Don't forget to vote! 😄