Dirty little secret

"He found out!" I say to Caroline. Sandy was suppose to hang out with us too but her and Parker left to...uh.... have some bonding time.

"WHAT??!!? how?" Caroline shrieks.

"Well his mom, Sherry. My old nurse, and kale. You remember him right? well that's James's brother and they told him." I ramble.

"Is he going to tell anyone?" she asks, genuinely hoping that he doesn't for my sake.

That's what I like about Caroline. She's fiercely loyal and can keep a secret with her life. She ruffles her sleek raven black hair, which I figured out she does when she's stressed.

"I'm gonna talk to him but he doesn't seem like the gossip type."

Caroline analyzes it for a second before nodding.

"True. Just talk to him. If that secret came out could you imagine the chaos." She exclaims.

Part of the reason I didn't tell anybody was because 1.) I would hate the attention and 2.) everyone would try to be my friend. And that would annoy me to no end. I wouldn't know if someone was my friend because of me or because of my cancer.

"Yeah. Do you think James likes me?"

I don't know where the question came from but all of a sudden I felt like I needed to know.

"What do you mean by like? like as in like or like as in like like." She asks glancing up from her Vogue magazine. With a slight smirk on her face.

" I dunno. Just do you know if he likes me?" I say nervously.

"You know what's funny? He asked the same thing." She burst into a fit of giggles after she said that.

Caroline has one of those laughs that is so infectious, so no matter how hard you try, you always end up laughing with her.

"Whatever." I huff out.

"Do you still like Kale?" her question was so out of the blue and random that I have no idea where it came from.

"I dunno. A lot can happen in 5 years." I shrug.

"Do you like James?" she asks raising an eyebrow at me. What was this 20 questions?

Jeez.

My mouth drops open and I swear it hit the ground. I couldn't like James. I just couldn't. That's about the most stupid question. Right?

"Of course not!" my voice comes out squeaky. Gosh now it sounds like I'm lying.

"You don't have to try to hide it. I'm not gonna tell him." She says causally.

"You're clueless. He obviously has a thing for you." I point out. She dismisses it with a wave of her hand.

"That's just physical attraction. Nothing more." She states bluntly. "And you're ignoring the question do you like him?" her voice holds a note of annoyance so I decide to answer as honestly as possible.

"Maybe."

"That's good enough for me." She says happily with a smile etched on her face.

***

The next few weeks were uneventful except for the fact that guys have been hitting on me nonstop. It's crazy what a little make over can do.

I had to talk to James about not telling anyone and thankfully he was really understanding. I like the fact that James doesn't pity me or treat me differently because I'm going to die.

"Hey." A voice says behind me making me fall out of my daze.

"Oh hey James." I say as I continue to put my books in my locker.