Chapter 16.

I was said I had until Christmas to live. From the moment we found out, I was promised at least one more Christmas with my family. They said I'd never see another New Year.
But who cares about what the doctors say right? Cause I lived to see the best New Year's ever. That's right, I didn't die when they said I would.

I spent thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's and i didn't die, most people don't have to worry about dying during the holidays but I guess I was a little different from other people. And the most amazing part of this all is, that I spent it with my family and friends.

The doctors said it was a miracle that I lived passed my due time, given the fact that it was spread everywhere. But I did it, I lived. Again for most people it doesn't take much of a talent, they go through it everyday, but it took me a lot of fighting to go on.

And now here I am, about to graduate, which I thought I'd never do. I'm filled with emotions, I'm extremely overwhelmed about the whole thing, it was the best day of my life.
But before that there's another special day I wanna tell you all about.

Prom.

I never thought I'd actually go to prom, do the whole cliche corsage thing. But I did it, and I'm so glad I had the chance. It was cheesy though,but perfect in every way.
Ashton proposed to me a week before, apparently he planned the whole thing for months to make it perfect.

He decorated the school's theater with all our pictures together, and some of me alone, on stage he had a band and a group of dancers, and he performed me a song he had written just for me while a slideshow played in the back on a big screen. Then after the performance he came down on one knee and presented me a corsage and asked me to prom. I couldn't say no even if I wanted to.
Who would have thought Ashton Holmes was a romantic guy? I didn't even know he could sing.

I spent the whole week searching for the perfect dress, dragging poor Grace with me everywhere I go. But it's not like I made forced her or anything, she was searching for a dress too, despite what she says. And yes, Darren asked her of course, with an amazing and cute proposal, but nothing compared to mine, and this is coming from someone who doesn't like to brag!

The whole evening was just beautiful, we literally never stopped dancing, it was so amazing, sarting from the decorations, the theme, to everything. And no by the way, we didn't win king and queen, that would have been too cheesy, this isn't a movie people.

So now here I am the next day, not hangover, although I should probably get one more cup of coffee before I trip on stage. I'm wearing my gown and waiting for my name to come up and announce that I successfully graduated high school.

"Maisie." Grace whispered.

"Yeah?"

"We did it."

"Yeah I can't believe it either, I always thought math would fail me." I laughed.

"No I mean, we did it, I don't mean just graduating, I mean doing it together. You here with me. I can't believe you're here." And as she said that her voice broke and tears filled her eyes. I held her hand and she squeezed it so hard, my blood circulation almost stopped.

"Hey what'd I say? No tears today." Darren put and arm around her and wiped the fallen tear away. "You're gonna ruin your make up." He joked.

"You too, okay? I don't wanna see you cry today, ever, it's a happy day." Ashton said doing the same as Darren and putting an arm around me.

I hadn't even noticed that our principal already started saying the names as I pulled myself together.

"Darren Kurt."

"Ashton Holmes."

"Grace Hawkins."

As I watched each and every one of my friends and classmates, I couldn't wait for my turn to come, I was anxiously waiting to graduate, not because I was finally gonna be free of high school, but because I could.

"Maisie Morgan."

Is that me? Is it my name, is she calling my name?

"Maisie Morgan." Our principal repeated.

"Maisie that's you, go on." The girl behind me in the line said with a big grin on her face.

I pulled myself together once again and walked on stage and towards the stand where the principal handed me my diploma and shook my hand and congratulated me.
I received the diploma and bowed in the middle of the stage as the proud parents were clapping for their kids.

I looked up and as on instinct my eyes automatically darted to my parents, dad was clapping with all his might, and mom was taking constant pictures. I flashed them a smile, and couldnt contain my laugh when they both yelled "Go Maisie!" I think I wasn't the only one who laughed, considering I heard some laughs from behind me on stage.

As my moment of spotlight was over I joined the others at the back of the stage and stood next to Ashton, on my other side Darren, and next to him was Grace.
Names I've heard for three years were being called on stage and getting congratulated.

"I present to you class of 2015."

My ears filled with screams of joy and happiness, fireworks went on in the sky and on stage. I waited patiently as our principal nodded his head for us to go ahead and switch the tassel on our caps from right to left indicating that we officially graduated. Then we took it off and on three, all of us together,tossed the caps in the air and hugged the person next to us as the song "Congratulations" played through the speakers.

I looked up at the flying caps and then looked back down and hugged Darren and Grace. When I parted, I saw Ashton looking at me, standing a few feet away, I took off my heels and ran to him and jumped on him as he caught me up and twirled me around.

"I love-" He started saying only to get cut off by my lips. "... you."

"I love you too." And I kissed him again and he kissed me back with all his might, until I felt like my lips were gonna fall off.

"Ahem, people who gave birth to you and paid for your education to get you here are still waiting for a congratulatory hug!" My mom said making us laugh.

I went to her and wrapped my arms around her as she kissed my cheeks, and the top of my head. "I love you sweety."

"I love you mom."

"I contributed too you know." My dad said and pulled me in a hug and placed a kiss on my forehead.

"I love you too dad."

"I love you too cupcake."

"Maisie!" A sweet little voice called my name and as I turned around I saw Brea running towards me and Ashton and almost stumbling and falling given the fact that she's just three years old and can't walk properly yet.

She jumped on me to carry her and i did.

"Congratulations." She said and kissed my cheek and hugged me.

"Thank you." I said and hugged her back and kissed her rosy cheeks.

"I don't get a hug and kiss?" Ashton said as she jumped on him and hugged and kissed her big brother.

Then she did the same to Darren and Grace.

Ashton's parents congratulated me as well, as mine did the same to Ashton, then after that we all went to dinner that was being held in our backyard, Darren and Grace's parents and friends joined us as well. It was a small, yet a special day for all of us.

I may not be able to achieve everything I wanted in life, but I sure as hell achieved what I was said I couldn't.

***********

Hey guys, so there's only a few chapters left for The Year, and then I'll be continuing my next book, Liar Liar,feel free to check it out and please Vote,Comment,and follow. ❤