31. The Parents Find Out

Start from the beginning

"What about our pup?" I ask, noticing that Dr. Kale didn't say the same for our pup.

"I do not know, Alpha." Dr. Kale shakes her head. "No wolf, let alone a pregnant one, has ever had Wolfsbane and Lycanthrope in their body at the same time. Hopefully the Lycanthrope will reverse the effect of the Wolfsbane without causing harm to the Luna and the pup."

I let go of the breath that I didn't know that I was holding in and run a hand through my hair as I take in the news. Charlotte and I's unborn child may not survive.

The thought of losing our pup causes me to growl when I remember that this is really all my fault. If I had simply killed Dylan in the slaughter-house and listened to Charlotte about the threat that he posed by being so close to us, my mate wouldn't have nutrition tubes in her and our pup wouldn't be fighting for its life right now.

I don't necessarily like the term 'it' when it comes to the pup, but I don't know the exact gender yet. Most of me knows for a fact that all first-born Alphas are male, but there's a small part of me that's waiting for the next ultrasound to reveal that our pup is actually a girl. If Charlotte and I have more children, I want at least one daughter. Maybe two if Charlotte wants to try for more.

"Will I be able to go into the room?" I ask, remembering the other times when nurses had to hold me back so that I wouldn't barge into my mate's hospital room and get in the way of all the medical stuff happening.

"Yes, Alpha." Dr. Kale answers as we near the pack hospital. "We just need to stabilize her and attach her to some medication first." The ambulance stops and we all exit the vehicle with Charlotte peacefully laying on the stretcher. The nurses pushing the stretcher move slowly, as if their Luna's life isn't in danger right now.

Dr. Kale must sense this too because she orders them, "Go prepare the room."

Once the nurses leave to prepare the room, we start moving a lot faster. "Some wolves here don't understand the constant urgency that goes on in this hospital." Dr. Kale tells Brody and I, obviously annoyed with how her team responded to the situation.

"It's the usual room on the sixth floor." she adds as the elevator opens. Time slows down when the elevator door closes. The steady beat of the mini-heart monitor on my mate's wrist is the only sound that fills the air. I try to pretend like the dark color or her veins isn't concerning me, but it's impossible. I know that if she were awake right now, she would be feeling everything that the Wolfsbane and Lycanthrope mixing is doing inside of her body. That's the only good thing about this situation; she can't feel pain.

Her breaths are still coming out in short pants and she visibly paled. By the time Dr. Kale and the nurses transfer her from the stretcher to the gurney, her veins and her skin are nearly the exact opposite colors. "This will help her breathe," Dr. Kale explains as she puts an oxygen mask over my mate's face. She knows from past experience that I need to know about everything that happens. Even the slightest change that's made without me being informed first will cause me to think that someone is trying to hurt my mate. "I'm going to keep her on oxygen for the next few days. I don't want to risk the Luna being unable to breathe if we take her off of it."

"When will she wake up?" I ask, desperately needing to know when my mate will open her eyes again.

"The definite answer to that is unclear, Alpha." Dr. Kale starts. "But I'm estimating that the Luna will wake up within a week or two."

"And our pup?"

"I'm not sure. Nothing like this has ever happened before." she shakes her head. "The future Alpha has a chance of survival since the Luna injected herself with Lycanthrope, but the mixing of the chemicals might overwhelm the fetus. We won't be able to know the final result until the Luna wakes up."