The Demon Reveals Himself

Griffin brings me out onto the balcony. He lets my hand fall to my side.

"So what did you want to ask me?" I ask. Griffin takes in a deep breath.

"I wanted to ask if he-I mean...did I hurt you?" Griffin's voice faltered.

"Um no, surprisingly I didn't get any injuries. You must not have hit me that hard," I said.

"Oh okay...good," Griffin said. We both went silent. We stood there awkwardly, waiting for the other to talk.

"Um...Griffin I'm going to ask a question that may make you upset. Do you want me to continue?" I ask.

"Yes I will answer any question you have," Griffin said.

"Alright...so...what was your master like? What did you experience in your life of being a young king? What happened to your master?" I ask.

"That's more then one question," Griffin pointed out. I pout jokingly.

"Well they just all all came out. I was only going to ask one but I thought of more that I should ask," I explained with a smile. Griffin smirked.

"Are you sure, because it could just mean you're bad at counting," Griffin snickered.

"I know how to count to three Griffin!" I shout. Griffin laughed historically. It sounded like a hyper active hyena. I giggle at Griffin's unique laugh. After our laughs, Griffin's smile faded to a smaller one.

"So to answer your questions, My master was a very strict man, but he cared for others like the white queen had shown him. He could control his second side very well. He tried to teach me, but he said my second personality is stronger then any other," Griffin explained. "As a young king, I had many responsibilities. Everyone expected so much from me. But I could only give so much. Eventually all that responsibility and pressure made me burst. My second side came out. He killed my master. I was never able to forgive myself."

"Griffin..." I said. Griffin took in a breath then continued.

"When I became king Luther was my second in command. Everyone feared me as well as him. I always knew this, but I never stopped it," Griffin admitted. "He used my name to make people fear him. I never wanted this." Griffin paused.

"You couldn't have seen this coming Griffin it isn't your fault," I said placing my hand on his shoulder. "Luther's the one to blame."

"Thank you Astaya, but it's not that simple," Griffin began. "I NEVER stopped him. I thought that if I let it go and continue that someone would finally come and tell me off. Someone brave enough to tell me that, what I was doing was wrong. No one could. I had to wait till you came and solved my problems. I let the Queen of White fix it when I didn't bother to do anything. I shouldn't be a king!" Shocked by Griffins sudden out burst, I stood in silence.

"Griffin...you were chosen to be king for a reason. You are the King of Red. The element of bravery. You wouldn't have come this far if you weren't meant to be king," I said. I look down with slight sadness. "You wouldn't have met me if you weren't the Red King," I stated. Griffins gaze softened. My hand falls from his shoulder. "You have a big burden on your shoulders Griffin. But if you were in my shoes, you'd be relived to be who you are. I carry many harsh and painful things on my shoulders. I'm surprised that I'm still sane," I said. Griffin hesitates. He looked like he was about to say something before he stopped himself. With a single sigh he became someone else. There was bravery in his eyes.

"Then let me help carry your burden. I promised to you that I would protect you," Griffin said as he takes my hands. "I don't go back on my promises." My face turned red. Griffin let's go of my hands. Griffins bravery faded. His eyes began to faultier. "I'm sorry Astaya. I still feel guilty about what I did and what I feel," Griffin said. "I'm gonna go back to the party." Griffin starts to walk back to the ball room entrance.