Chapter 37

Kelly's POV:

I just couldn't shake this feeling. I felt dirty, hurt, and sick to my stomach, all at once. And the fact that I had willingly given myself up like that only made me feel worse. And now, Jasmine wanted nothing to do with me. She just wanted to help, and I did feel kind of bad that I turned her away like that. I sighed and looked up at the sky, as if an answer would just fall from the sky or write itself in the clouds. If...if I just apologized to Jasmine and told her what had happened, she'd find a way to help. I don't know how, but Jasmine was good like that, she'd find a solution. I abandoned my work an ran to the girls' cabin, smiling hopefully to myself at the thought of shaking this feeling. I finally reached the cabin, flung open the door, and ran inside, not bothering to close the door behind me.

"Jasmine!" I called. "Jasmine? I'm sorry about earlier!" No answer. Fine then Jasmine, be that way. I'll get you to talk to me, I thought to myself. "Jasmine, I'll tell you what happened if you just talk to me!" Still no answer. Hmm, I thought. Any other day that definitely would've cracked her.

"Jasmine! Jasmine?" I walked slowly through the cabin, surveying each bed and available space big enough for Jasmine to hide in. I finally came to the last bed, which was Jasmine's, and noticed that the blanket was in a huge messy lump, unlike the other ones, which were spread neatly over the mattress. Wait, I said to myself. That's not just the blanket in a lump. Is that blanket ... covering something? I grabbed part of the edge of the blanket and slowly began to pull it up and over the object it was covering. The sight that was now in front of me pulled a blood curdling scream from somewhere deep inside of me.

Zoey's POV:

Today's a good day, I thought to myself. Andrew and Deryck aren't in sight, Jordan's here, and ... no way. Is that the sun!? I breathed a sigh of content. Today was definitely in my favor. I wasn't working in my normal place in the field, but near the back of the field, where Jordan normally stood watch over the girls. I was sitting sort of cross legged on the ground, which had been dried by the suddenly appearing sun, ripping at a piece of corn to make it look like I was working, and talking casually with Jordan. Since he was pretty short, Jordan had to stand on one of the wooden crates that had been previously used to store Andrew and Deryck's alchohol just to see over some of the tall corn stalks.

"So," he said, looking down at me. "What's your ... least favorite color?" I looked back up at him and thought for a second.

"Grey," I decided, ripping away another piece of the corn in my hand. "It's just so dismal and boring, and it makes me almost ... sad."

"Your clothes are grey, you know," he said with a grin.

"And doesn't that explain a lot?" Jordan laughed a light laugh that flowed like honey and made my heart melt, and I couldn't help but laugh a little bit, too.

"Zoey! Zoey!" My name was being called in the distance. I sighed.

"Jasmine, I already told you-"

"I'm not Jasmine!" cried the source of the voice. Kelly. She was getting closer, and when she finally descended into view, I could see she was crying. I was on my feet in a flash and caught her as she ran into my arms.

"Kelly!" I cried, brushing a tear from her face. "What's wrong?" She looked up at me and I felt my heart break as I saw several tears racing down her face, leaving pale streaks in the dirt caked on her cheeks. She tried to speak through her sobs, but was finally resolved to shaking her head violently. She grabbed my wrist and ran, pulling me in the direction of the girls' cabin.

"Jordan, come on!" I cried over my shoulder. In a flash he was running less than ten paces behind me.

When we finally reached the cabin, Kelly pulled me into the already opened door and Jordan followed not far behind. Kelly released my wrist and started to walk quickly to the back of the room, where Jasmine's bed was.

"Kelly, will you please just tell me-" I stopped dead in my tracks as Kelly pulled back the blanket on Jasmine's bed, revealing the most horrible sight I'd ever seen in my life. As Jordan made his way to the side of the bed and looked down at what Kelly was crying about, I heard his breath catch in his throat with one sharp gasp.

"No..." I said quietly. "No... No!" Jasmine was laying on the matress her eyes shut, her mouth in a small frown. Both of her wrists were cut deeply, and a deeper cut was visible above the collar of her shirt, which must have been the blow that finished her. Jasmine had killed herself. Blood was seeping out onto everything, her clothes, the mattress, the blanket, blood was even running down the side of her neck, forming a dark red spot on her pillow. . My head was spinning, my brain trying to cope with the thousands of questions that were all pounding into it at once.

"How could she!?" I cried, placing both my hands on Jasmine's stomach. Tears had started to cascade down my face, but I ignored them. I grabbed Jasmine's shoulders and shook her violently, but I knew I was wasting my time. Jasmine's eyes would never open again. Kelly was off to the side, her hand over her mouth, crying as silently as she possibly could. Jordan was just standing there, unable to take his eyes away from the gory sight on the mattress. I buried my face in his chest and cried. As I felt his arms wrap around me, I thought, Jordan, you're one of the two reasons I have left to live, next to Kelly. If anything happens to either of you two, I'm going, too.

"Wait." I took my head off of Jordan's chest and looked in Kelly's direction as she picked up a small sheet of paper from the floor. She skimmed it over and started to sob again as she handed it to me. It was Jasmine's suicide note, with two lonely words written on it. Remember me.

Sorry, Jasmine lovers ]:

But, hey, now you found out the meaning of the story's title :] I'd like to thank all you guys again, this story's up to over 1,200 reads!!!!!!! I can't believe how awesome you guys are <3

Vote, comment, fan if you haven't? :]

~Paige <3