Chapter 16

Kelly’s POV: I stared up at Deryck. How the hell did he know I was in here? Oh, god, please don’t let him beat me, I prayed. He smirked at me.

“Well, well, what have we here?” He said, walking towards me. I backed up and pressed against a tree. Great, I thought. Now I had no way to escape.   

 “I asked you a question,” he hissed, glaring at me.  

“I-I umm.. j-just wanted to get some f-food for my friend...” my voice trailed off. The way he was looking at me made me feel the slightest bit uneasy. Okay, I lied. Really uneasy.   

“You know what happens to slaves who get caught in the woods,” he said sweetly, and I could feel my stomach churn. I did the weakest thing possible then. I knelt down in the mud and folded my hands.  

 “Please, please don’t beat me, sir, please,” I begged. Yes, I was actually begging on my knees. So brave of me, I know. “I-I’ll do anything.” Deryck heaved an exasperated sigh.  

 “Stand up, girl,” he said, and I did so. “Look at me.” With every ounce of strength I could muster, I looked him in the eye. He glared at me for a few moments, before smiling sweetly and stepping to the side.  

“Go.” I looked at him in disbelief.  

“W-what did you say?” I asked, not sure I quite heard him right.  

 “I said go,” he said, and gestured to the path in front of him. I heard him loud and clear that time. I didn’t hesitate and sprinted down the path and back to the plantation. Only when I was in the comfort of the girl’s cabin did I notice how badly my lungs were burning and how hard it was for me to breathe. I should really run more, I thought. What am I saying? That wasn’t the real thought I was having, and I knew it. My real thought was, Why hadn’t Deryck punished me like he did everyone else?