Chapter 24

Jasmine had finished her work early that night. She'd offered to do mine too, I guess as sort of a peace offering to patch up our fight, but I declined. She did more work than anyone on the plantatation combined. But I knew there was an unspoken truce between us now. Kelly had gotten off early, but not because she had finished all her work. She said she had been given permission to. I was curious as to whether or not I should believe her, but Kelly never lied, so I had no reason not to. I was slightly suspicious when Deryck walked by and smiled at her. I'll never forget that fearful look on her face. Actually, in all honesty, I was more thrown by Deryck's smile than by Kelly, but whatever. I was still upset with her, though I didn't want to be. 

So I was just standing there, having finished my work, and thinking. About Jordan, what else. He liked me ... more than a friend ... but he couldn't talk to me? I seriously hated him right now. Or at least, I wanted to hate him. There was a part of me that knew I could never hate him no matter how hard I tried. He was just ... confusing. And I have to admit, I got a certain ... erm ... thrill, I should say, from trying to figure him out. I don't know. Like I said, it's confusing.

By the time I drifted away from my thoughts it had to be late, since I had vaguely noticed that the sun had vanished hours ago. I yawned, just then realizing how tired I was. I started off towards the girls' cabin quickly, hugging myself for warmth. Being that it was extremely late at night, it was freezing, and being dressed in rags didn't help much.

I stared around the plantation as I hurried along. I had to be at least halfway to the cabin now. At least, I hoped I was. I didn't like the plantation at night. People had died here, been murdered here. The plantation in itself was eerie and depressing enough, but try being alone on it. At about two in the morning. In January. Just as I was about ten feet away from the safety of the cabin, a twig snapped behind me. Instinctively, I spun on my heel to see what had caused it. I almost screamed when I saw a shadow standing not too far away from me, but as my eyes adjusted to the blackness, I saw it was Deryck. Fuck.

"Hello," he said, stalking towards me. "Hmm, Zoey is it?" He had a particular smirk on his face that made me nervous, but I tried to ignore it.

"Yes, sir."

"Where are you going?"

"I-I just finished my work, s-sir," I stammered. I wasn't sure if I was stuttering because I was nervous, or because it was negative ten degrees outside. "I was going to the girl's cabin to go to sleep."  He smirked at me.

"Really? So was I. Well, I wasn't going to sleep, I was going to the girl's cabin." I blinked curiously before asking cautiously,

"Why, sir?" He shrugged.

"Oh, I just wanted to ... borrow a slave. I thought everyone would be asleep by now," he said simply. I didn't dare ask why he wanted a slave, mainly because I was afraid he wouldn't want to answer. Unfortunately, the question was written across my face. He laughed a bitter laugh that made me slightly more nervous than I already had been.

"I know what you're thinking, and I wasn't going to hurt anyone," he said defensively. "I just wanted to ... practice something." I coughed shakily as my throat tightened in fear.

"P-practice ... sir?" I croaked.

"Yes," he smirked again, but bared his teeth slightly this time. "Why don't you come with me? It's convenient I ran into you actually. I wanted to ask some questions about your friend." I hesitated for a minute before asking,

"W-which friend , sir?"

"The blonde one, really tiny? Kelly." He still had a smirk on his face, but his expression was slightly dreamy now.

"Oh." I hesitated again. "What exactly do you want to practice?" Deryck grimaced before grabbing my arm.

"If you really want to know, come with me."

CLIFFHANGER!! :D Betchya didn't see that coming, did ya? ;)