Chapter Twenty

Chapter: Twenty: Maggie

I find myself wondering if forgiving him is actually a good idea.

Then again, it has been a week since I've last seen him and it's not like we can both completely avoid seeing each other throughout the engagement. It's basically impossible.

However, I'm still debating if what he had done was worthy of my reconsideration, due to how he was too persistent for my liking.

At that point, before he decided to visit me I was pretty sure it was over for us by then, that we had completely lost hope in reconciling and or reviving what was left of our short-lived bond.

However, he had managed to surprise me by showing up at my front door, asking permission if he could talk to me but if I didn't want to, he would've gladly left without hesitation.

At first, I thought about refusing his visitation, knowing well that he was up to no good and that it'd be best if I saved ourselves the trouble of regressing to where we left off.

But then I thought again later, what's the harm in hearing what he has to say? Surely, I wouldn't be swayed by whatever he has to bring to the table.

Looking back at it now, I don't know if I should reevaluate my life decisions or not.

I don't know what it was that tempted me to accept his apology despite everything that happened with Levi, the sincerity I'm guessing? Because that had been the first time I truly witnessed him being so hell-bent on redeeming himself despite his mistakes.

But still, I couldn't help but feel unsettled, because it is hard trying to imagine myself developing an actual stable friendship with Evan, due to the many difficulties we had to face that gave us valid reasons to be anything but friends.

Because Evan and I are completely different, and it is gonna be hard adjusting to the idea of hanging out with Evan now that Beth, Emily, and Levi are out of the picture.

Which speaking of.

Ever since the incident that took place last week, I have tried relentlessly to contact Levi in an attempt to explain my circumstances to him as well as to debunk whatever assumptions he's made about me and Evan, knowing that he's probably thinking I may have cheated on him.

The plan was to break up with him. The original idea, however, was to detail the entire story of the engagement in hopes that he'll understand and agree to mutually end the relationship on good terms.

But it seems as though that idea was left done and dusted.

Now here I am, wallowing still over the thought that Levi had probably blocked my number, preventing me from trying to reach out to him to put his mind at ease.

Evan, on the other hand, has a slightly more different approach towards the situation.

"You've been stuck in your house for an entire week, Carter. Dwelling over some presumptuous asshat that didn't give you a chance to explain yourself."

"Look, it was my fault, okay?" I said to him "If only I hadn't kept secrets from him and was too much of a coward to break up, he wouldn't have gone out of his way to get answers himself."

"You know that isn't your fault. You were under pressure."

"That still doesn't invalidate whatever he might be feeling right now." I proclaimed, looking up at him from the comfort of my living room couch, as we lounge around making conversation.

Not gonna lie, it took me by surprise how easily our discussions can be initiated as long as either one of us is adamant enough to go ahead and start one.