Chapter 2 - Welcome to Las Vegas!

Start from the beginning

There was a short pause before a shaky intake of breath. "How're you?"

Mom didn't call as much as I contacted them. They have a few times but the amount of time between each call was unbearable. 

"I'm fine, mom. How're you? How is dad and Ant? Are you being looked after?" I had so many questions for her. 

"I'm fine. Your father and Anthony are fine and yes, we are." She said in her lovely British accent. "The angels you assigned us are very... Protective." She laughed and I felt like crying. I hadn't seen my parents in a long, long time. I missed her laugh. I missed her smile.

"That's good then. They said Fayettville and Rayleigh are good areas now. It's not too bad at night, right?"

"Not at all actually. It's better than it was a few years back."

There was a long pause between both of our lines and I wondered if she lost connection or hung up. But then I heard a deep sigh and the words, "When are you coming to see us?"

That question had my hands shaking and my jaw quivering. The feeling of home overcame me and I had to control myself to stop the overwhelming amount of power surge through me. I wanted to go home so bad. I wanted to see my parents...

But I couldn't.

Not until I find my Gabriel. I wasn't going to give up now that Mary had found a way in. But how long would it be before I see them again? If Mary is right and a month there is a human year here then it would be a long while before I could see them again.

"Soon, mom. I promise. I have to leave for a while."

"What do you mean leave?"

"...This world."

There was another long pause and I shifted in my spot next to the window. "Mom?"

"Will you be safe?"

"Yes. I will be. I'll have Bonnie with me."

"Is that all?"

I shook my head. "No, I'll have Maryanne's friend with me too."

"Ah. So Mary is back, is she."

Mom knew about everything. And when I say everything I mean everything. She knows about Gabe and this whole situation. She knows about Jay knowing about me compared to the rest of my friends who don't really have a clue.

"Yeah."

I explained everything to her thankful that I had the chance to before we left for Las Vegas. Mom knew about my ability to go from one place to another so when I mentioned it to her, and the fact that Jay would be coming with us, she said, "Do it. Don't travel any other way, honey, it's safer."

I was happy we could talk so openly about it. "But what about the risk?"

She sighed. "Remember when me and your father went to Las Vegas when we were twenty-five?"

"Yeah you stayed at the--"

"Mmhmm. The Venetian Hotel. Half of the place is owned by angels now."

I smiled. "I didn't know that. Do I want to know how you know that?"

She giggled. "Some things are left unsaid."

"Thank you so much." I glanced around at Jay and he grinned. The door suddenly opened and his smile turned upside down. "Alright mom I gotta go. I'll be leaving soon."

"I love you."

I smiled and shut my eyes. "I'll always love you. If anything happens call me. And not by phone--"