4//Kiss on the lips

Start from the beginning

I squeeze my way through a crowd and find Jace's sidekick, Logan. He's standing with a girl, possibly his date, he plays with his cup of lemonade and watches it swish around in his cup. He and the girl don't seem to be in any sort engagement at all, the girl looks rather bored. Jace is nowhere to be found, I actually don't want to see him.

I think I should just leave, there's nothing here for me anyway. I look away from Logan and the girl and make my way to exit.

"Lena" My name is called by a male voice.

I turn around on my heels and see Logan standing behind me. I raise an eyebrow as he stands there and doesn't say a word.

"Where's Jace?" He asks.

"He stood me up" I respond and continue walking out of the party.

I grab my coat and head outside. I don't want to be in there nor do I want to go home. Serena is on a date with Dan, I wouldn't have guessed it. Nate is back inside at the party, my only somewhat friends are unavailable.

I put on my coat and button it up. I could always explore the city but I don't want to risk getting lost. I can't even catch a cab yet, it's as if the drivers don't see me at all. Life was much easier in San Diego. It's the place where I grew

"Need a ride?"

I look to the side to see Logan standing there, he looks straight ahead. I look over to his other side to see if anyone else is standing there.

"Yes, I'm talking to you" He says as he looks at me for a brief moment.

"Just making sure." I say and hold up my hands in defense.

"Well I wouldn't be talking to Casper over here" Logan says, his voice laced with sarcasm.

"You never know." I remark. I see the corner of his mouth twitch up into a smirk for a second.

"So do you?" He asks "Need a ride" He clarifies.

" I don't know. It's hard to believe you're offering me a ride considering our last interaction." I say and he gives me a quizzical look. "When your scotch and suit had a nice convention" I clarify.

"I would hardly call that a convention." He says with his eyebrows raised.

"Well, you could call it whatever you want. The point is you and I were at each other's throats." I say

"Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I reacted badly, it wasn't a good day." He apologizes.

"It's fine." I say "You see how easy it was to accept an apology? Just saying" I add

"This is my last offer, do you need a ride?" Logan asks once more.

"Yes" I answer.

"Follow me" He says and I comply. I follow him to where a cab lies parked near a curb. I assumed we were going to get into the cab but instead Logan walked past it and to a limo.

I look at the limo in quite a shock, I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. His dad has his own industry, he's a Devenport.

The chauffeur, I assume, stands beside the limo as he holds open the door. "How was the party?" The man speaks.

" A disappointment." Logan responds

"Who's this young lady?" The man asks.

"Jim this is Lena. She goes to Constance." Logan says as he introduces us.

"Hi" I smile

"Pleasure to meet you" Jim says with a warm smile.

Logan gestures me to enter the limo first, my first impression of him is beginning to change. I thank him and slide in, he then gets in and Jim closes the door.

Logan takes off his coat followed by his suit jacket. The temperature outside feels like sub-zero but the inside of this limo feels like an oven. I unbutton my coat and take it off as well.

"Where to?" Jim asks from the front of the limo.

Logan looks to me and I answer "Palace Hotel, please". Jim nods and I thank him.

"Sorry about Jace, he's an ass." Logan says, apologizing on behalf of Jace.

"It's not your problem to worry about but thanks" I say with half a smile. "If you know he's an ass then why are you friends with him?" I ask

"If I knew that answer myself then I would tell you." He says.

"So you didn't know he was going to stand me up?" I ask

"No. Jace is unpredictable, you won't know what his next move is until he does it. When he asked you as his date I already knew he had one." He answers

"Arabella. I remember" I say, followed by a sigh. I should've known, I'm usually not naive and blind. I just got sucked in by Jace's vanity and accent.

"Don't worry. If anything he did you a favor by standing you up." Logan says and I raise my eyebrows. "That's not what I meant. I meant that he would've just used you for sex then leave you on a curb."

"Oh. Thanks for letting me know." I say. I still don't feel any better.

"The Palace Hotel, miss" Jim announces from the front, the limo comes to a stop and Jim exits the limo. He makes his way to the back of the limo where he opens the door. Logan exits the limo first then I slide out to the edge where Logan holds out his hand to help me up.

I look at him and take his kind gesture. "Thank you" I say as I drape my coat over my shoulders. "Thank you for the ride and not just that but everything else" I say with a small smile.

"Um. You're welcome" Logan says a little unsure. I turn to Jim and give him a smile "Thank you as well" I say.

"Of course, anything for a friend of Logan's" Jim responds and returns the smile.

"Well goodnight" I tell the two then head up the steps to the hotel. The doorman holds open the door and I thank him as I walk in.