Chapter 1 ~ The Past (Edited)

Twenty Years Earlier

"TASHA!! Get your trifling ass in here NOW!" Rosa Lee Rae yelled out from the living room. Tasha trembled on shaky legs as she walked out of her room and into the living room. Tasha saw her mother lying on the sofa with a cigarette, a bag of potato chips and tequila in her hand. Tasha closed her eyes because she was scared of what her mother might do to her. The living room smelled of weed and she knew her mother was probably high.

Tasha and her family lived in a two bedroom house that was left to her mother by her grandmother Iris. The depressing house had wallpaper coming off the walls and roaches littering all in the cabinets. Tasha was disgusted to ever live in a place like this. Their grandmother would always keep a clean house, food on the table and provide the love that she and her sister, Sasha needed. She and Sasha were the only ones that tried to keep the house clean. Her mother was lazy and all she wanted to do was hang around her man and get so drunk until she couldn't remember where she was.

Tasha missed her grandmother. Iris had died of a heart attack three years ago when they were six. Now they were living a miserable existence especially with the hatred of the one person that was suppose to provide love and guidance.

"Yes, mama." Tasha said barely letting the words come out. She walked into the living room and faced her mom.

"Where is your sister?" Rosa said with her eyes closed with the lit cigarette hanging out her mouth. The butt was longer than the actual cigarette. Tasha was scared that one day her mother would burn herself and the whole house down. Tasha hated cigarette smoke, she would pray that she wouldn't die from second hand smoke as their clothes, furniture and everything they owned smell like nicotine.

"She went to the library. She has a project due on Friday and she needed to use the computer and print out some pictures."

"Why you not with her? You need to be doing something constructive with your time besides looking in the mirror with yo old ugly self."

"Because I'm not in the same class with her and I was in my room doing homework." Tasha hated when her mother called her ugly. She and her twin sister, Sasha were the splitting image of their mother before the alcohol and drugs. Now her mother was just skin and bones.

"Why is that, TASHA!" She screamed out in her ear making Tasha hunched her shoulders up as her mother yelled her name out that echoed in her head.

"I have Ms. Martin and she has Mrs. Stewart. They put us in different classes this year."

"Oh! Now bring me my cigarettes!"

"Yes mama. Mama, do we have anything to eat?"

"We don't have any food fool." Her mother said licking her tongue out at her while eating her full bag of chips.

"But I haven't eaten all day. I am hungry mama."

"So, what do you want me to do about it!" Tasha closed her eyes. She knew her mama had gotten their food stamps and evidently she had sold them probably on cigarettes and alcohol.

Tasha walked in the kitchen and grabbed the carton of cigarettes from off the counter. She passed them to her and went in the kitchen to find something to eat. She looked in all the cabinets and there wasn't a thing to eat. She had been drinking water out of the nasty faucet to help calm the hunger. She found a ketchup and mustard packet and hurried and ate them. She sat on the floor in the corner and stared at her mother.

Rosa Lee Rae use to be a fairly attractive woman probably five years ago before she started smoking and drinking. Back before she and her sister were born, their mother worked as an administrative assistant to an attorney in town. She had worked there during her pregnancy and their daddy went to prison on federal white collar crimes.