Chapter 4 ~ Feelings (Edited)

Start from the beginning

When we were first adopted and they brought us here, Sasha and I thought we had moved in a castle. That the Worthington's were a King and Queen and we were their princesses. The house had six bedrooms and eight baths, a tennis court, pool and later they added a small basketball court. It was one of the biggest houses in the subdivision and they still had five acres behind the house.

I walked up to the white freshly painted huge wooden doors and unlocked them with my key.

"Mom where are you?" I called out as my voice echoed throughout the living room and family room. She didn't answer so I made my way to the kitchen. There she was cooking something good.

"Hey mom," I said walking up to her and giving her a hug. She turned around and wrapped her arms around me. There was something about a Samantha Worthington hug that made your bad day go away. I squeezed her tight taking in her Chanel perfume.

Samantha Worthington stood before me with light brown hair twisted up in a french twist and secured in a bun. Her light brown eyes sparkled, and her makeup was perfect along with her freshly manicured nails. She was wearing a long Valentino green sundress with matching accessories that complemented her soft porcelain skin. Growing up I thought she looked like one of those expensive China dolls. I always wanted to be glamorous like her as she was my role model.

"Hey honey. I just came back from your cousin's Amber's baby shower with those snotty nose wannabes friends of hers. They give me a headache every time I am around them."

"Glad I had to work," I said looking down in the pot. I was so excited as she was making my favorite crawfish étouffée and homemade baked rolls.

"Mom you didn't have to go through so much trouble. I could have eaten a sandwich."

"Nonsense. I love cooking for my babies. Jackson isn't home so I don't have to eat all those brussels spouts, plus you look like you have lost weight. You probably been eating that nasty cafeteria food. Last time I ate there I was nauseated for days."

"It's not that bad."

"You may be use to eating it but I'm not."

A few minutes later we were both at the table holding hands and saying grace and eating.

"So what's up?" She said looking at me. I swallowed hard knowing she was going to flip out about me going to Africa. I licked my lips and took a deep breath.

"I'm not sure you are aware that there is a malaria outbreak in the Sudan. People are dying including children and they really need help."

"Maybe we can send them some money so they can get the things they need," Samantha said taking a drink of her lemonade.

"It's more than that," I said leaning back in the chair.

"What is, Tasha?"

"They need doctors there."

She took another bite of her food until my words sunk in.

"Please tell me you are not going?"

"Mom, they need..."

"No Tasha. I almost lost one child in another country and I will be damned if I let another go unprotected."

"Mom, I am thirty years old. I think I am old enough to go without permission. I wanted to tell you in person and maybe spend some time with you before I go."

"I don't care if you are eighty, you are still my child. I know I can't stop you but please think about this?" She looked across the table with her fingers tapping against the wood.