Chapter 11- Willowpaw

Willowpaw watched as the old leader heaved himself onto the Highbranch. His body shook and his grey whiskers curled around his chin. He seemed to have aged seasons, in just a few moons. As he raised his shaking head to yowl to the sky, the snow above began to quiver. The clan looked on in horror as their leader, unawares, began his call.
"May all cats-"
His cry was cut off as a lump of snow dropped onto the branch beside him. He barely had time to register this before a great pack of snow slid down, engulfing him in a torrent of ice. Willowpaw gasped and sprang forward, scrabbling at the snow with her paws. It was hard and cold, brittle yet packing in around their leader. Willowpaw dug on, but she knew it would be too late. The clan had an air of resignation as they uncovered the frozen body of their leader. Icestrike laid her paws on his matted fur and sighed heavily. The clan dipped their heads in respect of the true warrior.
"He led the clan for many moons," Icestrike raised her head. "And he would not wish us to mourn him. Instead we celebrate his life, and how he triumphed through seasons to lead us as a proud and noble clan! For Pebblestar!"
The clan chorused in response, raising heads like coals among the snow.
Icestrike paused for a second, bending down to whisper something. Willowpaw caught the words: "It was not your time to die." Willowpaw watched Icestrike make her way over to the medicine den. Of course, she would be leader now. She had been a popular deputy, and Willowpaw had no doubt she would make a fine leader. Blazewhisker padded over and laid her tail on Willowpaw's shoulder. She must have known Pebblestar as a young cat, Willowpaw realised. It was a hard loss for the clan, so late in leaf-bare.
As Icestrike made her way out of camp, Willowpaw scanned the clearing. She spotted Rowanmoth grooming himself solemnly outside the warrior's den, Scorchpelt talking absently to Lilacpelt. Nobody was really moving, all pondering on the death of their once seemingly invulnerable leader.
Looking upwards, Willowpaw saw the snowpack beginning to melt. It should not have fallen, she realised. The snow was dense, and had fallen in a great chunk. It didn't seem natural. As she looked up towards highpeak, she shivered. It didn't seem justified, but she had a strange feeling that this hadn't been meant to happen. Suddenly, in the corner of her vision, she spotted a tuft of black fur poking out from a rock above Highbranch. Bunching her muscles, she leapt strongly and began to swarm up the trunk towards it. The cat behind had clearly realised she was there- the fur disappeared and a flurry of paws was heard sprinting down the rock. This should be easy, Willowpaw smiled. She fe,t the power surge in her muscles and leapt forward.
Skimming over the leaves, Willowpaw powered forward, barely losing her breath. She glimpsed her target up ahead and sprang in one final leap. Feeling the bubble of energy around her, she pushed forward in a blinding flash of light. It didn't know she was coming until she felt fur under her paws and pressed her captive into the forest floor, shoving her roughly into the leaves. Her vision adjusted and she finally recognised her foe.
"Ferndapple?"