Chapter 5- Willowpaw

Willowkit almost squealed in delight as Pebblestar called her name.
"Willowkit, from now on you shall be known as Willowpaw. Blazewhisker, you are a loyal and skilled warrior. You will be Willowpaw's mentor." Blazewhisker walked up and touched noses gently with Willowkit- no, Willowpaw now. Willowpaw looked up at her new mentor, her creamy white pelt shining in the sun. Blazewhisker's flame-red pelt glowed, and her Amber eyes sparked with kindness as she looked a Willowpaw. Willowpaw felt like bouncing. She had the best mentor ever!
Willowpaw turned to Blazewhisker. She began to mew very quickly and excitedly. "What are we doing?" She asked enthusiastically, as Blazewhisker led her across the clearing. Blazewhisker replied.
"We're going to explore the territory. It'll take us the whole day, so you'd better be prepared!"
Willowpaw purred. She followed Blazewhisker out of the hollow, towards a glittering snowy peak far above them. Blazewhisker gestured with her tail.
"That's highpeak! It's where the leader and medicine cat live." She explained to Willowpaw. Willowpaw looked up at the towering crag. "How in the name of Starclan do we get up there?" She asked, confused. She watched as Blazewhisker hooked her paws into cracks in the Rock and began to pull herself up the rock face, climbing expertly from one pawhold to another. Willowpaw gritted her teeth and followed, her paws aching and her claws straining as she reached her paws out further and further. Eventually she reached the top, and gazed down at the territory before her. Snow-topped peaks spread elegantly out across wide expanses of frosty earth, dotted with bushes and sprigs of gorse with mustard-coloured flowers. A small stream flowed out into a frosty lake, which sat like a gemstone between the territories. Willowpaw could see the dense reedbeds of Reedclan, the rocky boulders that lay scattered across Cliffclan territory, and the striking plains that swirled with small funnels of sand- Dustclan. Blazewhisker beckoned her over. "Down there- do you see that hollow beneath the pines?"
Willowpaw looked where she pointed. "Yes."
"That's where we're headed! We're going to do battle training!" Blazewhisker encouraged. Willowpaw started down the slope. "Race you!" She called out excitedly. Blazewhisker purred amusedly and followed her down, speeding with her down the hill and sliding over the snow like a swan on the lake. Willowpaw reached the clearing first and jumped across the springy ground, aiming blows at the air and breathing in the fresh scent of pines. Blazewhisker arrived and turned towards her. "Attack me!" She ordered.
Willowpaw readied herself and launched herself at Blazewhisker. Blazewhisker sidestepped neatly, and pinned Willowpaw down, but Willowpaw anticipated the move and wriggled out from beneath her, aiming a sheathed blow at Blazewhisker's face. Blazewhisker suddenly turned onto her forepaws and lashed out at Willowpaw with her hind legs, catching her by surprise. She staggered and Blazewhisker placed a paw on her throat. "I win, I think!" She said softly. "Now would you like me to teach you how to do that?"
It was sunhigh by the time Willowpaw had mastered the tricky move, and she felt so pleased with herself by the time she completed it successfully. As they walled back to camp, Blazewhisker paused.
"Do you here that scuffling?" She asked. Willowpaw strained her ears and heard the sound of small paws pattering. "That's a snow hare, behind that bush, and I'd like you to catch it."
Willowpaw concentrated on the direction of the sound, then darted forward, paws blurring. She sped up, not wanting Blazewhisker to realise that she was- well, different, but enjoying the sensation of the wind through her fur. The snow hare never realised she was there until it was too late. She returned to Blazewhisker in a second with the hair clamped in her jaws. Blazewhisker looked shocked. She looked at Willowpaw, surprise and horror in her eyes.
"Come with me. There's something I need to tell you."