Chapter 22: Meeting the rebels

Katarina

We arrived at a mansion with cream-colored walls. It was a huge house but I find it quite gloomy. Only the roses decorated outside looks happier.

"Eleanor!" cried a very thin lady around my age. Her thick golden curls bobbed as she waved us to come inside her tea room.

"Carissa, I missed you so much!" the duchess quickly embraced her and gave her a kiss in the cheek.

"thank you for visiting me dear friends. You honored me with your presence my king and duke." She smiled at them warmly and she directly fixed her eyes on mine.

"Katarina, may I introduce you to Lady Carissa, Countess of Rochifield."

"a pleasure to meet you my lady." I curtsied and gave her a friendly smile.

"You're quite pretty Katarina. Isn't she my king?" she said in a very soft tone that all of us became quiet. I glanced at the king and my face heat up when his two intensely beautiful orbs met mine.

"T-thank you for the generous compliment my lady, but I'm not as beautiful as you." I stuttered as I avoided his gaze.

We spent the whole morning with Lady Carissa. She was amiable and had a good sense of fun. I enjoyed discussing about the various flower she have in her garden and she was very happy when the duchess gave her the basket she brought from the young girl. When lunch was over, we broke into different groups. The duchess and me was having a good time looking at family portraits while the Duke and Pierre was busy discussing the next hunting season and left inside the tea room was the king and the lady. Alone. I felt a little tug at my chest as I kept wondering what they are talking about...or if they're talking anyway.

"Lucas and Carissa were engaged a long time ago." The duchess spoke as she eyed one of the painting.

"w-were engaged?" I didn't know I was into past tenses.

"were." She confirmed.

"Why?"

I quickly hid my flaming cheeks. Why am I so interested about it?

"Carissa knew there is no cure with her malady. The doctors were even surprised she held on for this long. So she decided to break the engagement and with my brother's heart along with it."

All I could feel is this burning sensation in my heart. The lady and the king loved each other and here I am entertaining such unwanted feelings.

"sorry to disturb you my grace, but the king said we should make haste and say goodbye to lady Carissa.." Pierre interjected.

I sighed loudly which made Pierre looked at me.

"as much as you like it in here, we must leave now Katarina." Pierre gave me an annoyed look.

"oh yes, sir." I followed them both out in the hallway and said good bye to the lady.

"Farewell everyone. It's nice to meet you Katarina." She said and we entered our carriage.

I never saw the king so calm like that. He never used foul language or raised his voice and he had that look of contentment on his face. If only he could be like that in the castle. How could the lady do that to him? He was like a violent river but when he was with her presence, he was calm as a gentle stream.

We were heading towards the country fair when suddenly, a heavy jolt made our carriage halt. Soon there were yelling and arrows hauling over our carriage.

"Death to the king!" someone yelled.

"Ambush! Protect the king!" the soldiers were shouting and there were so much confusion. I saw from the window that the king's carriage was engulfed with the flames. I quickly scan to locate him among the men but he was not there. Our carriage began to flee from the area when a huge horse collided with it. I was thrown out of the carriage leaving me full of dirt and scrapes.