Chapter 25 (Old Version)

Chapter 25

"Don't you think that you're over reacting a little?" 

Mimi stopped chewing her nails and looked at Megan. "I am not over reacting Megan. What if they confiscate my things and send me to jail?"

Megan hugged Mimi. "You didn't bring anything illegal with you?" she asked and Mimi shook her head. "Then there's nothing to worry about."

Mimi let go of Megan. She looked at her watch, then at her phone. She dialed her mothers number and waited for her to pick up. She looked back at her watch as she waited impatiently for her mother. 

"Hello?" her mom's voice was very re-assuring. "Mimi? Where are you? I was expecting you an hour ago. Is something wrong?"

Mimi swallowed and looked at Megan who just shrugged. "No mom," she said with a sigh. "Nothing's wrong. We just got..." Mimi tried to find the right word. "... Held up. We'll be there before sundown."

"Promise?" her mom asked. 

"I'm not making any promises. Anyway, how is he?" Mimi asked about her step-dad, Dylan's father.

"He's going through speech therapy. He's sentences are getting better everyday."

"Well that's good right? So what words can he say properly now?"

"Not much, but Mimi," her mom said. Mimi waited for her to say something else. "Be here soon, okay? He misses you." 

"Yeah, okay mom. Sorry it took us two and a half weeks. Our principal isn't very happy that I'm letting my grades slip." Mimi sat on one of the waiting chairs at the airport. She patted the seat next to her to Megan so she could join her.

"And are you?" her mom asked worriedly.

"Am I what, mother?" Mimi raised an eyebrow then looked at Megan who was searching for something inside her purse. Megan looked up at Mimi then smiled. 

"Letting your grades slip?" 

"No mom," Mimi said finally. She looked at Megan who gestured towards the airport security guard who was waiting for them. "Uh, mom, I'll call you later, okay?" After they said their goodbyes, Mimi hanged up. She then slipped her phone inside her jacket and stood up. Megan followed and they both walked inside the manager's office with the Airport Security Guard.

The manager had a nerdy look, he was wearing Harry potter styled glasses, his hair was waxed to look perfectly neat, and his shirt was tucked in his pants. He had light brown hair. Mimi recognized him. He was the teenage boy who helped her and her mother with their baggage back when they arrived here at Tulsa for the first time when she was about seven years old.

So now he's the head manager here, Mimi thought.

The manager stood up and gestured the two seats in front of his desk to Mimi and Megan. He up a hand to the guard so he could leave the office. "Oh, please close the door when you leave, Charles." 

The guard doesn't seem too happy to be called by his name. Charles. He had that scary look in him. Big, buff and black. He was also bald and had a mustache. 

"Now miss... Madeleine is it?" the manager asked. Mimi nodded her head. "What seems to be the problem?"

Mimi shrugged and raised a questioning eyebrow. "I don't know. You sent us here, didn't you? So shouldn't YOU know the problem?" Mimi asked sarcastically.

He seemed to notice that he'd been embarrassed 'cause his cheeks turned red. He looked down at the ground and scratched the side of his head. Megan giggled a little, which made the manager blush a little more. The manager sank back to his seat and looked at Mimi.

"Well, the, er, problem is that you were carrying something which some of the guards believe was drugs."

"DRUGS!?" Mimi shouted angrily. She was very taken back by what he said. Megan pushed Mimi back to her seat. Mimi's mouth jaw dropped down open. "I didn't bring any drugs with me!"

"Yes well, I'll tell that to the airport security but you must wait for further results."

"I can't wait. My parents are expecting me back before sundown!"

"Well that's too bad," he said sarcastically. "Not all of us can get what we want."

"That's it? You're basically doing this because you're upset that you can't get what you want!?" Mimi asked harshly. The manager looked weird. His eyes were wide open, his nosestrils looked like they were half flaring, and his mouth was set in a straight line. 

Megan looked at him. "What’s he doing?” 

"I don't really know," Mimi said with her eyebrows knitted together.

"This is my "You're-dead-to-me-look"," the manager informed. Mimi and Megan both said Oh the same time. Then he stood up and raised his arm frustratingly. "Get out of my office!" 

Mimi and Megan both ran out of his office. They met Charles outside with both of their bags. Mimi had to carry hers while Megan wheeled hers, which was much more comfortable than carrying hers.

"So, who's going to drive us back to your house?" Megan asked after a few minutes of awkward silence.

"I haven't thought about that yet, but I know just the person to call." And with that, Mimi snatched her blackberry and dialed Maki's number. It rang and rang and rang until finally, Maki decided to pick up.

"MIMI!" Maki shouted through the phone. Megan laughed when she heard how loud Maki's voice was. "What's up? Did you miss me as much as I missed you?"

"Maki, calm down. I need someone to come pick us up. Would it be al-"

"Already on it," Maki said cutting her off. Mimi looked at her phone then at Megan. She shrugged and Megan sighed.

They sat at the waiting chairs for about ten minutes. They played red hands while waiting. Mimi realized that Megan doesn't play fair. By the end of the game, Mimi's hands were burning with pain from Megan's slaps. Then someone patted her shoulder. Mimi thought it might be Charles again. But the patter was the person Mimi least expected to see.

"Andy," Mimi said wide eyed. "What are you doing here?" Mimi flushed.

"I'm here to pick up Susie. She works at the taco stand over there." Andy pointed to their left. "When did ya get here? Sorry bout your dad."

"Um, today and its cool." Mimi shook her head and looked at Megan. She didn't have to introduce Megan to her ex boyfriend, right? She waited patiently for Andy to leave and when he didn't. Mimi bit her lip.

"Uh hi, I don't believe my good friend here introduced us. I'm Megan," Megan said holding out her hand. Andy shook her hand and they had a conversation while Mimi sat there awkwardly. They talked about Mimi and a bunch of other stuff. Mimi knew that after this convo, Andy would have his hand up at Megan's ass and it would all be her fault because she didn't stop them.

When she finally had had enough and it was getting dark, she stood up, took her duffel bag and walked outside to call a cab. Megan followed her. 

"Hey, what's wrong? Is it Andy? He seems kinda nice," Megan shrugged. Mimi sighed.  "Look, if you want me to stay away from him, I will. Okay?"

Mimi shook her head. "No, it's just... well... we sorta dated before, but I chose Dylan over him and Dylan chose Jane over me."

"Oh," was all Megan could say to what Mimi said. "So, what are you doing anyway? Get back inside. It's cold out here."

Mimi shook her head again. "Go stay if you want to. Andy will probably take you to my house later if you stay, but I have to go home now. So, bye." 

Megan hugged Mimi and let go. They both said their goodbyes and Mimi got in a cab. She left Maki a message asking why she was no show.

Mimi just hopes that when she gets home, she'll get to see how much Jason's speech therapy has improved.