Chapter 19: Kaleena

READ FIRST: There is a chapter before this one titled "The Calm", please read that one before reading this one. For some reason wattpad didn't notify everyone of the update.

Chapter 19: Kaleena

"Bubba!" Kaleena screamed as she jumped on top of me. I rolled her off of me and continued looking up at the ceiling.

"Bubba! I know you hear me!" she continued to be all up in my face. I rolled my eyes and sat upright.

"Can't you see I'm thinking LeLe?" I questioned.

An innocent smile took over her features as she nodded.

"Yes, I can clearly see that, but can't you see that I need you?" her big puppy dog eyes pleaded with me.

I sighed before throwing my legs over the side of the bed.

"What is it?" I asked, knowing her answer would piss me off. I wouldn't really be upset with her, but knowing Kaleena she was bout to say some dumb shit like 'I want ice cream' or 'let's go to the park'.

"Can we go to the movies?"

See what I mean?

I kissed my teeth and stood up from the bed.

"Did you really interrupt my alone time to ask me to go the movies?"

"Well...yes," she smiled, but then it soon turned into a frown. "You're not upset are you Bubba?"

She knew I could never stay upset with her long. Kaleena was my world, and she had me wrapped around her finger. She knew from the moment that she stepped into my room that I'd agree to take her to the movies.

"Nah, I'm not mad. What you wanna see?" I asked as I threw on a t-shirt, and grabbed a pair of shoes out the closet.

"ATL," she exclaimed. "Some of my friends from school saw it this weekend, and they said it was sooo good. Plus, Evan Ross and T.I. are playing in it, and they are soooo fine." She rambled on.

"First of all, boys need to be the furthest thing from your mind. Secondly, why you wanna see a movie about a bunch of niggas having a damn skate battle?" The whole concept of the movie seemed stupid to me. Were they supposed to be some kind of rollerblade thugs?

"Kellen, don't pretend like you don't go skating all the time!" LeLe folded her arms across her chest, attempting to call me out.

"So I like to skate," I shrugged. "But do you see me out here with a whole skate crew?" I challenged.

"Would you rather them be gangbangers and thugs, Kellen? Is that the kind of message you want to send to our youth?" Kaleena was always wise beyond her years. I was grateful for that though. My sister had a good head on her shoulders and I just hoped she stayed that way.

"No, that's not the kind of message I want to send to our youth, Kaleena," I mocked her. "But, it'd make for one hell of a story line!" I retorted.

LeLe threw her hands up in defeat. She knew I would go tit for tat with her all day, as we usually debated hours on end.

"So are we going or not?" she huffed.

"You knew we were going the moment you walked in here."

She squealed in excitement before wrapping her small arms around me. "Thanks Bubba! I'll be waiting outside."

I laughed to myself as she ran out of my room. I finished getting dressed, and then made my way to go meet her. When I stepped into the living room, I noticed my mother's boyfriend passed out on the couch with a beer in his hand. He was wearing a dingy white beater with holes in it, and a pair of grey sweatpants. His beer belly poked from underneath his shirt, and animal-like snores came from his crusty black lips that were slightly ajar. I rolled my eyes at the sight of him.

"You leaving?" I heard my mother's voice ask.

"Yeah," I nodded. "Taking LeLe to the movies."

She simply nodded her head, and wiped her hands off on the apron. I scoffed as I realized she was cooking for this bastard.

"Are you seriously cooking for him?" I asked her.

The niceness she displayed a few minutes ago was completely gone. A scowl covered her face as she crossed her arms across her chest.

"Yes, I am cooking for him. That's what I'm supposed to do as his woman." she snapped at me.

"Well then what are you supposed to do as our mother?" I shot back. "Cause lately all you care about is taking care of some grown ass man that does not care about you!"

"Don't you dare talk to me like that Kellen Austin Sanders! I am doing everything I can for this family." she shouted.

I honestly didn't give a fuck about her using my full name. It wasn't going to make me feel any different about the situation.

"Whatever. I'll see you later." I was completely over talking to her. She swore up and down she was doing everything she could for "this family", but in actuality she was doing everything she could for her sorry ass boyfriend.

Jogging down the front steps of the house, I saw Kaleena waiting for me at the end of the sidewalk.

"Hurry Bubba! We don't want to miss the previews. That's the best part!" she yelled.

I grabbed the side of my pants and jogged to catch up with her. I drapped my arms around her shoulders as we fell into step with each other. We didn't live too far from the theater so it wasn't that long of a walk.

"Everything okay?" Kaleena asked after a while.

I nodded. "Yeah, why wouldn't it be?"

"I heard you talking to Mama," she sighed, looking down.

I knew our relationship with our mom took a toll on Kaleena. She was always wishing she had a mom like her friends. She didn't think I knew, but I heard her talking about it a few times. I hated that our mom was so fucked up, but what could I do about it?

"Look, don't worry about that," I lifted her chin. "You don't need her, all we need is each other and we'll be straight. Now I thought you wanted to see 'Evan Ross and T.I. fine ass'," I mocked her.

She playfully pushed me as a wide smile crossed her face.

"You're right! Let's hurry!" she pushed me once more, and began running in the direction of the movies. "Last one there has to buy snacks!" she called over her shoulder.

I smiled to myself before taking off after her.

*

*

*

I know every time I update I have some dramatic ass story to go along with it, but y'all life is a bitch. It seems like every time I'm trying to be great the devil just keeps on holding me back. BUT, I refuse to just let him keep me down so I'll try to focus all that negative energy on my writings. Thanks for sticking with me & encouraging me guys.

How did y'all like this little flashback with Kaleena and Kellen ?

Kellen's mother?

Next chapter it's gonna be some drama so get ready!

Also, are you all still interested in me starting Murder Capitol ? If so I'll post the prologue tonight.

love always,

Nalani Rose