Ethan.

Why can't I stop thinking about her?

I asked myself for the third time in those last ten minutes, unmoving from that dark spot in the alleyway. The rain didn't let up, and I could care less. 

I thought back to the previous night; was it possible that I could run back to that house, grab my knife and do it again? I shoved hair away from my face and straightened, taking a step forward...before I stopped. And her face flashed into my head again. Standing there in the doorway, glaring at me, long brown hair--

Mentally, I slapped myself. There was absolutely no way I could be halted because of a girl. Fists clenched, I bowed my head and began my slow descent from the alley.

The woodland beyond the house was silent and empty, so I had no problem getting to my knife. If I found it, that is. The leaves crunching beneath my feet distracted me from my previous thoughts, so I listened to them as I walked, searching through every bush, kicking through leaf pile after leaf pile. Damn, I thought. Where the hell is it? 

"Ahem." 

I spun around, stumbling, once I heard the noise. I wasn't sure whether my cheeks went red or paled at what I saw. Nevada Sierra; standing in front of me. Arms crossed, hair tied into a ponytail, red sweater and a brown jacket covering her upper half, black slacks covering her legs and brown boots covering her feet. In one of her hands...was my knife. My hunting knife, the one Father gave me before he was...murdered. She waved it back and forth, as if taunting me. 

"Is this yours?" She asked me, grinning a little. Yes, I was blushing. God damn. Keeping my head down, I stepped forth and tried snatching the knife away from her. She spun around and I barely noticed one hand reaching up and pulling my hood down. I just turned around to face her. She was still keeping a tight grip on the knife, a full blown smile on her face as she looked me over. The rain had let up again, just enough so we didn't have to squint to see five feet in front of us. 

Her head tilted to the side, and a frown flickered upon her face. Black hair, green eyes, disapproving scowl on my face--what the hell did she expect? "You aren't going to give that back to me, are you?" I asked, deciding whether I should rush forward and rip it from her hands, or just relent and let her have it. 

"Why was it here in the first place?" she asked, ignoring the question. "Were you looking for it?" Her eyes began running up and down the knife, and I actually wondered if it was possible to grab it without...

"Yes, I was," I replied, quite honestly. Why hadn't Do you know this is private property? come up yet, seriously? "What are you doing out here?" I asked her, clenching my fists in my pockets, doing my best to stay calm. "This is private property, isn't it?"

"If this was, I would have said I was going to call the cops on you," she--Nevada--replied with a shrug. "And this is usually where I go for walks." 

"So you don't go walking through people's yards?" I asked, eyebrows raised. She smiled a little at that. Instantly, my cheeks heated. It felt weird. I hadn't had a...decent...conversation with someone in a long time. Her hand came back, and she flung the knife in my direction. I jumped back, but it landed at my feet. As I bent down to pick it up, I heard a door slam shut behind us. Stuffing the knife into my jacket, I turned around quickly. Cops. Two vehicles with flashing lights on top. 

Cursing, I threw myself forward, spinning Nevada around and shoving her ahead of me. "Hey, what are you--" 

"Don't you dare ask questions," I whispered to her, continuing to shove her along until she finally started to run. "Just follow me, and keep up." 

~~~

Would you look at that? I updated, and Ethan has had a slight mood change. :D 

In the external link you will be taken to a page (my page. Well, not my page, my blog, I guess) where you can see a full image of the new cover. :D ))

--Allison.