Nevada

I didn't expect anything less than the cloudy morning I awoke to--that's exactly what it was; dark, low hanging clouds that threatened to spew rain at any given second. 

I was up and dressed and ready for the Saturday to come before seven. Usually, I found Mother still in bed, but this morning she was laying down on the couch, looking peaceful as she watched the television screen in front of her. When I walked into the room, she tilted her head and a calm, collected, happy smile crawled upon her face. "Morning, dear," she said. 

"Uh, morning," I said back, managing to smile. Hiding the fact that Father left? No, don't ask her. Don't ruin her mood. "I'm gonna head out for a walk," I declared, spinning around and heading for the door. 

"Don't stay out long, Nevada!" Mother called, still sounding happy. "I'll have breakfast made when you get back!" 

"Okay!" I called, and shut the door behind me. The coolness of the morning hit me instantly, and I pulled the sleeves of my hoodie down further, and zipped up my jacket. Mornings like these, you needed to be wearing a jacket over your sweater. No questions asked.

The walk was quiet; my side of the city hadn't completely woken up yet, and was possibly just beginning to stir. When I say my side of the city, I mean the normal side. The side that slept in as long as possible, worked on farms all day long, and sat down with their Families at dinner time, unlike the other side of the city, the side where Families ignored each other as they sat in front of the television or lurked in their bedrooms. 

Thunder roared overhead, and I flinched as I tilted my head back. Rain began pouring down, hitting my face in splatters. Jumping at the cold wetness, I yanked my hood over my head and continued walking at a much quicker pace than before. There was a farm just a few minutes away... Oh, if I could get to that then I could dry off. For a couple minutes, at least, before the owner found me, and kicked me off of his or her property.

My walk became a sprint as I made it towards the gate, nearly sliding through the thing, but making it through and avoiding the house, making my way towards the barn instead. The scent of cow manure hit me as soon as I walked in, and I nearly recoiled back into the rain, but I did my best to avoid it, and slid around one of the closed doors. I was dry, and I felt slightly warmer than before. 

Feeling sneaky, I looked across the yard outside, at the puddles which had already began to grow. My eyes narrowed further as I tried looking off into the distance, for any signs of--

Movement. A figure in black. A boy leaving the brick house, violently slamming the door behind him and flipping his hood up. I shuffled back only a little, feeling all of my muscles tense up at once. His head turned towards the barn, and I could swear on my Father's grave he looked at me. Blinked twice, and his head cocked to one side, as if he thought he saw something, but wasn't believing it. Suddenly his eyes became slits of black in the pouring rain, and my entire body shook. 

My footsteps lead me away--away from the door, away from the approaching figure. A walk became a sprint once again, and my footfalls were based solely on panic this time--no eagerness to get out of the rain, that was my last concern. All I needed to do was run.

~~~

I will not be uploading any further tonight. I will be watching The Blair Witch Project. I'm so scared. x_x Bye for now. :)

--Allison.