12

I woke up alone.

I couldn't remember what had happened last night. All I knew was that I wasn't alone when I fell asleep.

I turned to the other side and saw wrinkles on the sheets and a blanket pushed to the end of the bed. Whoever it was, they were in a hurry.

I got up and changed into the new pair of clothes that lied on the desk. There was also a note telling me to come to the town square once I woke up.

The moment I stepped outside of the front door, a crowd of people were swarming around the place. I knew this town was more populated than back home, but I didn't expect it to be this crowded.

I was spotted by Percy who was already dressed and supplied with a knife in his hand. He came over to me and we walked a little way towards what everyone else was surrounding.

"They do these morning announcements everyday." He whispered. "I think she's about to talk about us right now."

He was right.

Just as he had said that, everyone had turned around, dispersing to make a path for us to Reyna who was standing on the podium with her arms out.

I took the lead toward Reyna and stood in front of her, fairly close.

"What's going on here?" I whispered with a fake smile plastered across my face.

She smiled back and spoke with her teeth clenched together. "Octavian demands for your identity and background."

My smile dropped. "Background?"

"You know, how you've been living for this long and where?" She shrugged. "Normally, I wouldn't ask you for this but we do it for every newbie so I don't want you to stand out more than you already do."

I could've sworn I saw a blush creep up her neck.

Just then, a scrawny blue eyed boy stepped up next to Reyna. This was the same drunken retard that threatened to slit my throat the other night. I couldn't make out his face in the dark, but now since we were out in daylight, he looked even worse than I had imagined.

The boy looked over at Percy, but he kept his head low and refused to make eye contact. I tried to get his attention but he just shook his head once and balled his fists.

"Your friend seems nervous over here." Octavian smiled, but nothing about it seemed friendly.

"He's been through a lot. Could you just ask us what you want to know already?" Both him and Reyna snapped their attention towards me. He was probably never talked to like this before, but for Reyna, she knew something wasn't right if I was speaking with so much disrespect.

"Jason...?" Reyna spoke up but Octavian waved his hand to her.

"If the guys in a hurry, it would be rude for us to drag him along." Reyna gave him a weird look. Something told me he didn't normally respond this way.

"Get him into the Senate House and we will discuss the questions for him there." Octavian started walking away. "Thirty minutes."

-

Something I learned about Octavian was that he was a nerd for Roman Mythology. He insisted on making the town into more of a camp for training people. Instead of fighting mythical monsters, we'd be against actual zombies.

Another thing was that he wasn't very nice. This came from Reyna who Octavian had worked by her side from the start. Even if she tried to get him to go away or tell him that his plans were ridiculous, he had his people.

He was a man of persuasion.

We sat in a room filled with chairs and a long table in the center. The rest of the room was vacant.