1

Black liquid dripped from the bottom of my boot as I hovered it over the last walker. It snarled and raised its arms at me. I had gotten used to seeing how decayed these bodies became, I didn't even flinch as I crushed its skull under my shoe. The splatter of blood and snapping of bones ceased to send my hair rising or my body shiver in fear and disgust anymore.

Killing and scavenging was the norm now. Ever since the virus had gotten out of a lab in D.C., it had spread out to the rest of the states. The surrounding countries were slowly being infected as well. The infected outnumbered the rest of us.

The human species was endangered.

It had been three years since all of this had started and there's not a day that goes by where I don't remember the first day of the plague.

I was in my Biology class, hunger was tearing at my stomach waiting for the class to end so I could go to lunch. It was an ironic thing to think about with what was about to happen.

It's said that we were informed of the virus spreading three months earlier. Only the citizens could tell you how much of a lie that was.

A blood gurgling scream came from outside the halls of the classroom. Ms. Dodds was immediately annoyed and went outside to yell at the kids to go back to class. We all watched her. We kept watching even when she came back inside the room, blood dripping from her arm, panic spread across her face.

After that my memory was a blur. Students ran outside through the back door. They climbed over the gates, the security guards no match for the entire student body. I remember staying close with my two friends at the time, Leo Valdez and Piper McLean.

"It's zombies." Leo didn't wait a second to voice out his thoughts. In any other situation, I might have rolled my eyes at him, but seeing as how limping, bloody bodies attacked the people around me, there was nothing I could do but believe him.

We finally made it outside and onto the parking lot. You'd be surprised how many people left their cars behind, just trying to get away as fast as possible.

The three of us ran to a truck that belonged to senior Luke Castellan, also known as my sisters boyfriend. I froze in my tracks, occasional bodies pushing past me.

Piper looked back at me. "Jason, c'mon! We have to go!" Leo was already breaking into Luke's car, using his mechanic skills to hot wire the car to work.

"Thalia." The name was barely audible on my lips. Piper walked toward me cautiously.

"Jason, what's wrong?"

"I can't leave. I-I have to find my sister!" I didn't wait for a response. I turned around and bolted back into the madness.

-

I shook my head from that memory. I never found my sister, or saw my friends again. I had survived on my own ever since. Most people traveled in groups but I found that too risky. In this life now, it was hard to trust. No one cared about family or friends. Food and guns were all that mattered at this point.

I walked down a dark alleyway, my back pressed against the wall and a knife clenched in my hand. There was a secret stash of food and water in a nearby garage. I found this out from a group of survivors I had been spying on for the past week. They were going to check it out in the morning, but I didn't have time to wait. I needed as much food as I could get my hands on and then I was gone. I would be in search for another group to steal from.

I searched for the skull logo that they tagged their property with. A few more garages later, I came to the jackpot. Pulling up my black bandana over my nose, I undid the latch of the garage door. I tried lifting it quietly, but sounds of squeaking and creaking escaped no matter what.