Chapter Twenty

(A/N: Okay, long time no see everyone! Yeah I haven't updated in a while, but I figured you had all waited long enough (and my writer's block has receded enough to manage this scrap of a chapter) so here we go! It's not as long as the usual chapters and I apologize for that, but it got what it was supposed to get across. Also, The first original novel I ever wrote is getting redone. It's called Our Perfect Insanity and I'd love for readers of this story to check it out and support the new version, which is at this link; https://www.wattpad.com/242649127-our-perfect-insanity-rewritten-version-chapter-one and hopefully this new version will be published once it's complete. One day this novel will be published as well, so all the support for my other stories will help get this one done in the long run! So thank you to all your support, and enjoy the chapter!)

Chapter Twenty

I tried to scream, but, I found I couldn't make a sound.

The strong, unwelcome arms tightened around mine, pinning me to my attacker's chest with little chance of escaping, the realization of which caused me to begin shaking in absolute terror.

I had been so happy, why did this have to happen to me?

"Hey, knock it off," A voice shouted, dropping down from a fire escape above to stand in front of me and my attacker. "Leave her alone."

The hands dropped from around me and the man stepped back, allowing me to glance behind me, finding that it was indeed Hayden like I had thought, and he looked pretty annoyed that this new boy had intervened.

"This is none of your concern," Hayden snapped, his fists clenching at his sides. "You should learn to stay out of things that aren't your business, kid."

I turned back to the boy who had intervened, and found that Hayden was right; he was just a young boy, around maybe fifteen, but that didn't seem to stop him from moving into a threatening stance, eyes narrowed at Hayden.

"It's my business now. Beat it, fucker, before I scrap you."

Hayden stared for a moment, before giving me a look that clearly read 'this isn't over yet' and turning, running the other way out of the alley.

Turning back to the boy, I saw him grinning rather proudly at me, all traces of anger gone from his boyish face. His bangs were styled up, and he gently flicked a loose strand of hair out of his eyes, which were identical to mine.

"Who are you...?" I questioned, staring at him, to which he chuckled, straightening out his graphic tee and sticking his hands in his jean pockets.

"No thank you or anything? Just straight to the questions?" I was about to apologize but he held up a hand. "Nah, it's cool, I get it. I go by I.C... but you can call me Icy. You know, because I'm so cool..."

He did that cliché movie where they make a clicking sound and point with both hands at a girl in an attempt to flirt, and I just laughed at him.

"That's the lamest thing I've ever heard... but thanks for saving me, I guess you're pretty chill." I put emphasis on the word chill, to which he grinned.

"Nice. I knew the ice pun thing would be a success," He stated, to which I laughed, feeling much more at ease than I had felt five minutes ago. "Anyways that kid's a punk. If you want some help knocking him on his ass, I'm happy to be of service."

I nodded my head slowly, scanning the boy's face, trying to figure out why he looked so familiar. After a moment, it clicked, and I realized that this boy had a lot of the same features that I did, and he also looked identical to the photos in my house of my dad when he was young.

"Hey... uh... who are you?" I stammered, trying to figure out in my mind how I could be related to this boy. A cousin, perhaps? Did my dad have an affair?

"I already told you my name-"

"No," I interrupted him. "I mean who are you to me? You look like me. Are we related?"

The boy paled slightly before looking around nervously, as though looking for an escape. Stepping forward, I grabbed his shoulder, causing him to look at you.

"Maybe," He swallowed nervously, letting out a slight chuckle. "You never know in this world. Who fucked who and made babies. We totally could be..."

"You know more than that..." I coaxed, and I.C shook his head.

"Maybe I do... I've got to go, though. If you need me, you can just call me... give me a pen." He requested, and I nodded, pulling a pen from my bag and handing it to him.

He grabbed my wrist and sloppily wrote his number on my hand, and then I, in turn, did the same on his hand, before putting away the pen.

"Thank you again, but, I want to know what you know." I told him, and he grimaced.

"Maybe one day. Anyways, see you around, Colleen."

With those words, he climbed back up the ladder of the fire escape and disappeared onto the rooftops, leaving me staring after him.

I never told him my name.