Chapter Six

Chapter Six 
David Connelly 

"...and all I can taste is this moment, and all I can breathe is your life. 'Cause sooner or later it's over, I just don't want to miss you tonight." 

Catching the clumsy little girl I knew from high school before she fell flat on her ass was not something that had been on my to-do list, but, that was what had happened. 

"You should really be more careful, Colleen," I scolded her, straightening up and holding her shocked form against my chest. "Doesn't it hurt being so clumsy?" 

"I... I- I don't..." She stammered, causing me to smirk at the bright red blush that covered her pale cheeks that were framed by dark purple hair. 

"You're lucky I was here to catch you. You're welcome, by the way." 

She shoved me away, forcing herself out of my arms, much to my surprise, before she glared up at me, her gray eyes glittering behind her glasses as she wrapped her arms securely around herself, as if for protection. 

"I- I didn't need your help." She stumbled over her words, straightening up as thought she was trying to match my height, which was impossible, but, also kind of cute. 

"Of course you didn't. Tell me, how tall are you? It's kind of adorable to see you try to make yourself seem taller than me." 

"I'm not adorable!" She hissed, before her voice became much quieter, and almost sheepish. "I'm five foot four." 

"How cute." I teased, enjoying the look of annoyance she gave me. 

"I'm. Not. Cute." She snapped, and I gently pat her on the head, ruffling her dyed hair which only seemed to add on to her frustration. 

"Of course you aren't," I agreed sarcastically, before chuckling lightly as she shoved my hand away in anger, crossing her arms once more. "So, tell me, little girl, why aren't you at home, snuggled up in bed like you should be?" 

"I'm looking for a job." She told me, and I raised an eyebrow. 

"If I remember correctly, you live pretty far from here." 

"I don't live with my parents anymore." 

"Oh?" I tilted my head to the side curiously, tucking my hands into the warmth of my jacket pockets. "Why not? Got into a fight with daddy?" 

"Shut up." She snapped. 

"Did I touch a nerve? My apologies." 

"Whatever," She ground out, before turning around and beginning to walk down the steps. "I'm going home. Bye." 

"Wait." I demanded, jumping down the steps and grabbing her arm, spinning her back around to face me. 

"What do you want?" 

"You never said thank you. I think I deserve it." 

"You're unbelievable," She snapped, shaking her head and pulling her arm out of my grasp. "I didn't need your help." 

"Listen, girl, when a handsome, smart, and charming guy like myself saves you from falling into the pavement when you stupidly walk into a door of a closed library," I paused to point to the hours on the library sign, watching Colleen blush. "You thank him. Its only polite." 

"Careful, you seem to have a little personality on your ego." She scolded me, sass dripping from her tone, and, even though that seemed like it was meant to be an insult, I couldn't help but laugh, which only aggravated her even more.