Chapter 17 - What Is Love

- Clary's POV -

Simon loves me?

What? I'm feeling so confused.

I can hear Simon arguing with someone who just came in the room but I don't care who it is.

Simon loves me?

I mean, I love him too but not that way....

I have no idea what love is but whatever love is, I whenever the word pops in my head, I think of...

Jace.

- Jace's POV -

"What the hell happened, why is Clary crying?" I yell as I push Simon up against a wall, "What the hell did you do to her?" I said in an angrily hushed tone.

"Nothing, I swear. We were just talking, I kinda yelled at her but then I apologized."

"If I find out that that's not all that happened, you better start running for the hills."

"Back off. I said, I didn't do anything." Simon pushes me off of me and walks back towards Clary.

That mundane is starting to get on my nerves.

I also walk towards Clary.

- Clary's POV -

I feel Simon pat me on the back and I can hear him apologizing for overwhelming me and saying something about how he doesn't expect me to do anything about what he said.

I hear Jace come over to me and ask me what was wrong.

I shake my head at him and say "Nothing, Jace I need to talk to Simon, I'm sorry but do you mind leaving the room for a bit."

"Well, actually this is a hallway."

I'm too tired to glare at Jace but I look at him sternly, "You know what I mean."

"Yeah, alright." And Jace grudgingly trudges out of the room. Hallway.

Simon doesn't say anything and stares intently on the ground as if afraid to meet my gaze.

"Simon." I say softly. "I'm sorry, but I think you already know that I don't love you like that."

"Yeah I know." Simon seemed to have already seen this coming and had already kind of accepted it.

"I'm really sorry. You know that right?"

"Yeah I do."

"Are we still friends?" My voice shrinks down until it is barely audible and I can feel my tears coming back.

Simon wraps his arms around me and says, "Clary, we're best friends, I could never live without you."

And then my tears fell.

- Jace's POV -

I pace around the infirmary, awaiting for Alec's revival and for CLary to 'finish talking'.

I'm gonna beat that kid into a pulp one day.

Isabelle cocks her head up at me from a leaning position on Alec's bedside to a sitting up position, "Jace... what happened?"

"Nothing." I say.

"You've been pacing for around 15 minutes now. So I'm pretty sure it's not 'nothing'."

Isabelle's eyes are puffy from all the crying she's being doing because of Alec, her concern for me makes me feel all warm inside and I say, " It's Clary... and that friend of hers."

Isabelle, as if bored from the conversation sinks her head back into the bed careful not to wake Alec.

"What?" I ask.

Her muffled voice reaches me, "You'll be fine. I've seen the way she looks at you. You'll be fine."

"Really?" My heart lightens and I feel a bit relieved.

"Absolutely 100 %."

"Oh." I say. "Cool."