4: Are You A Monster, Or My Friend?

Months pass and i'm finally 13. School is practically over, only a week remaining, but be honest... who actually comes to school that last week?

Damian and I hear of this party some students are hosting at the Cobblepot park. Knowing it'll be totally lame, we decide to go anyways, since y'know, free food.
We grab a slice of cake and take seats on the empty swings, keeping casual conversation for some time. But I suddenly take notice of a fairly obvious car pull up, an expensive mercedes painted green with black rims and dark purple trimming around the doors and windows. I smirk as the fabulously psychotic couple walk out, my father opening the door for my mother. He wore a dotted grey and white button-up shirt with a long dark overcoat over it, dark purple dress pants and shoes, along with that same hat and shades. My mother wore a flowy red shirt with ruffles around the lowered neck and tight black high-wasted jeans and one red, one black boots with a fuzzy ball glued to the toe of them. They walked with class, Harley's arm wrapped around my father's and they both wore confident smirks as they headed my way. I jumped from the swing, dropping the cake as I ran to them, wrapping my arms around both as I pulled them in for a hug.

I lead them to the swings where I sat between them and Damian, who nervously greeted my parents. "Nice to see you again, Mr. Valeska..." Damian says hesitantly. My father glares, simply nodding his head without interest to him.

"So!" Harley interrupts the awkward silence. "My little girl, growin' up! Soon enough you'll be in high school."

"Yeah, I know, right?" I brush my hair behind my ear as I look down to my dangling feet. "Damian is actually graduating this year. He's a grade above me." I look to him and smile.

"Is that so...?" My father says.

"Is there any cake up in this joint? My blood sugar is gettin' low." Harley says. I stand and take her hand, pulling her along to the tables set up with all the foods sorted on it.

*Damian's POV*

And with that, Des leaves me alone with her super scary and not to mention, psychotic dad. I sit still, enduring the painfully awkward silence, but to my surprise, Mr. Valeska suddenly speaks.

"So... a freshman next year, huh?"

"Er, yessir—"

"You lay a hand on my daughter, and..." he pauses, keeping his eyes locked on Destiny in the distance while keeping both his expression and tone at a calm level. "I will skin you alive." he turns his head to me, smiling. I stare, wide-eyed in shock and force myself to vigorously nod my head.

"Right..." I gulp, gripping to the swing chains. "But to be perfectly honest, sir, I don't think anyone could lay a hand on her without it resulting in a few broken limbs... i've seen her fight, and... phoo! I wouldn't underestimate her for her size."

"Yeah..." he smiles again. "She's got her mother's determination and strength... but she's got my looks and wit." he chuckles. "It's the weirdest feeling." he suddenly adds. "I feel like someday when she grows up, she'll become something good."

"Like... like a hero, or something?" I question.

"Yeah... yeah, like a hero." he gagged and his body quivered in disgust. "Soon I won't have any control over that little beast. It nearly worries me."

"Well, to be frank, she'll be old enough soon to make her own decisions and she won't need you..." I quickly snapped my mouth shut, surprised at what came out of it. But Mr. Valeska didn't look upset. He looked partly sad, but it was difficult to read his expression.

"Yes..." he simply replies before Harley and Des arrive back.

*Destiny's POV*

I could practically feel the awkward flow of energy between Damian and my father. I look over to both, my father sitting still and unbothered as my mom flicks cake icing to his face, and Damian who's gently swinging back and forth, keeping his eyes to the ground.

-

The next day, Damian and I spent the entire day together. We went to a local mall, finding the theatre inside and watching a scary movie first, then we walked around, people watching and silently making fun of everyone who passed by. Finally though, as the day came to an end, we walk out of the mall, the sun setting, and we notice a crowd of people on the sidewalk standing around an ice-cream truck. I smirk, taking Damian's hand and dragging him to the truck. He laughs as he pats his pockets for his wallet, finally locating it and pulling it out. But all in the blink of an eye, while he's trying to pull out some cash, some guy bursts past us, knocking each of us back, and Damian looks to me in confusion, then shock.
"That dude just stole my wallet!" he yells, and I look in the running mans direction. Gritting my teeth, I begin chasing after him. He'd knocked multiple people down along the way as he ran, but they didn't slow me. As I ran, I could feel the anger build inside of me. The audacity of this random guy stealing my friends wallet... when I catch him, ooh, i'm gonna...

"OOF!" the man yells as I jump onto him, knocking him down to the concrete. I roll him over to his back and snatch the wallet from his hand, but he suddenly grips his fingers around my throat and I begin to struggle, squeezing my eyes shut as I scratch to his hands. But the thought hit me. 'pocketknife.'
I slowly reached into my back pocket and pulled out the knife my mother and father had gifted me. I push the blade out and give an evil smile to the guy laying under me, and I slice his arm, blood starts spewing out. My heart speeds up, pounding against my chest. My vision grows blurry and my head begins to spin. I could feel the corners of my lips curling wide to my ears, and a chuckle forcing its way out. As my laugh grows louder, stronger, tears of pure joy begin to flow. I hold the knife over the man above my head, knowing that any second, I could drop it and kill him. I could kill him.
Around me crowded people, watching in shock, but I couldn't care less. All I wanted now was to see this man scream, to taste his blood... And just as i'm about to strike, the sound of running footsteps suddenly stops behind me.

"Destiny!" Damian yells in a short of breath. "What're you doing? let's go!" he reaches for me, but something in me snaps as his hand touches my shoulder, and I swing my arm back, the knife cutting his hand. He yanks back, grabbing his hand and looking to the blood, then to me with shock. I stare at him now, my smile gone but tears still flowing.

"This is me, Dame."

He shakes his head. "No, it's not. It doesn't have to me. C'mon, let's just leave! No one will tell. You took down a thief, you're a hero. So let's go!"

"NO!" I scream. "I killed a man. I could kill him. I want to kill him."

"No you don't, Destiny! That's just your father's blood inside you speaking! Jesus, Des, you're making a scene, let's get the hell out of here!"

"I can't go back."

"YOU CAN!! Just—just take my hand! C'mon, Des. I know this isn't you. C'mon... are you this monster you're building yourself up to be, or are you my friend?"

Ah, he got me. I turned back to him, my lip quivering as tears poured out, and I took his hand. He pulled us away, running down the sidewalk back to home.
He leaves, giving me a hug before so as we make it to my apartment building. It's on the tip of my tongue to say sorry, but I decided not to say a word. Once he leaves, I walk inside, greeted by the usual setting.

"Hey kid. You and your friend have fun?"

"yeah..." I reply, heading for my room.