Sodapop- you are a rebound

It had been almost 1 week since Sandy moved away. She was the ex-girlfriend of one of my closest friends, Sodapop. Sandy got pregnant with a child that wasn't soda. I thought that would be enough for him to dump her, yet he STILL wanted to marry her. Great thing her parents refused. God forbid some chick like that marry Soda. But Soda was too nice, and he didn't care. That kid was a saint. He deserved so much better.

He had been pretty down since it happened. It hurt me that he was so upset right now, but in a way I was relieved. I had a huge crush on soda for the longest time. We were never going to be that way though, and I had accepted it.

I was on my way to the Curtis house. Everyday I was visiting because after Sandy leaving, Dally and Johnny dying, I figured it was best to visit and keep them company.

I knocked on the door. Pony answered, because Darry was most likely at work.

"Hey Pony, how ya doing?" Pony was who I was really concerned about, his best friend had just died. Hopefully it wouldn't affect him to the point where he starts falling behind in school and or shutting people out.
"Well you know, the usual. Soda's in his room, but I don't know if it's a good time to visit..." Pony's voice trailed off.
"I just want to check up on him, he worries me." They all worried me. I was worried they would do something drastic to take the pain away.
"I guess," Pony closed the door and sat back down on the couch. Maybe I was being too pushy.
"Hey Soda, can we talk right now?" I knocked on the door.
"Yes y/n, you can come in." The door squeaked as I opened it, I saw soda laying in bed, and he was shirtless. Whatever, I had to be discrete.
"Everything alright?" I sat down on soda's bed next to him.
"What do you think?" Soda said sarcastically.
"Seriously Soda, what can I do to help you? I hate seeing you like this," but there really wasn't anything I could do to help him feel better.
"Bring Sandy back..." He fell back onto his pillow.
"Soda, she cheated on you. And I think you deserve someone who's faithful to you as you are to them." That was the best I could do at encouraging him.
"Me and her, we had reservations today for this really fancy and expensive restaurant. I was saving all my money..."
"You could still go. Ask pony to go with you!" I tried to make light of this situation.
"Maybe you could go with me" he smiled really big. Was he asking me out on a date?
"Sure but I think I'm underdressed if it's really that fancy." I had a blouse and a short skirt on.
"You're fine girl!" Soda got out of bed and went to his closet. I turned around and stared out the window. It sounded like some sort of commotion.

Steve was walking in, along with two bit. I turned around to see Soda changing in front of me.
"I'm right here you know." Man I tried not to stare.
"I don't really care, if I'm being honest," Soda sent me a quick wink. The gesture seemed kind of flirtatious. But I would be out of my mind if Soda actually liked me back. If anything he was just bored since he broke up with Sandy. Soda actually got cleaned up really quickly. He had a cute button up shirt and some khakis.

We walked back out into living room. Steve and Two-bit eyed is funny.
"Where you guys going? You actually got dressed today Soda?" Two- bit had already helped himself to Curtis' pantry supply.
"We are going out to dinner. See you guys soon." I went to the door, because I wanted to avoid all there unnecessary questions.
"Hey Pony, will ya make sure that Two-bit eats everything in our pantry!" Soda nudged him.  It felt good having soda acting like his old self.
The car ride was so long. We might have been driving for 30 minutes until we got to the restaurant. For someone who spent there days at the dingo, this was quite the upgrade.

We walked in to the restaurant. This was the type of restaurant a soc would be at. It was dimly lit, and the aroma of food was strong. It was such a romantic atmosphere, but me and soda were just friends.

"For Sodapop Curtis!" Soda said to the host, she looked on the book and read "Reservation for Sodapop Curtis and Sandy, okay you two can follow me." Soda flashed me a sad smile. Oh great, I was just a Sandy replacement.  He must have put both their names in when he reserved it a week ago. I knew better than to dwell on it.

We sat at our table. This would have been the perfect first date. But I think it would be a while until Soda would be ready to date again.

"Y/N, I need to thank ya. You really have been a good friend to me and my brothers. I trust you ya know? Steve and my brothers just don't get it sometimes, to be in love." I felt glad that Soda confided in me, but I really didn't even know what it was to be in love.
"Well I don't really understand either, but I try. You are confusing, especially when you get drunk without actually getting drunk." Soda was always the life of the party even without touching a can of beer.

"Hey, I can drink pretty good when it's good liquor!" Soda teased, which was true. Two-bit's beer he would bring was so nasty. We later finished our meals and we joked around a lot. I loved seeing Soda happy. The bill ended up being over 100$ and I felt bad for Soda having to pay such a luxury. I'm sure I would end up paying him back.

We walked back to the car. Soda grabbed my hand. I almost flinched, but I played it cool. When I sat down in the car, Soda put his arm around me.
"Thanks for coming y/n. Maybe we can do it again sometime.
"I don't see why not," I blushed.
"You look so gorgeous today, how come I haven't noticed before?" Soda leaned and talked quieter into a whisper.
"Soda, are you okay?" I leaned away from him. Now he was noticing that I was attractive? I always looked the same. 

"Im all good. It's just.." Soda cut off his sentence and leaned in and kissed me. I clenched up, and I didn't kiss back. This didn't feel right . 

"What was that?" I pushed him off me. Soda brushed his hair back with his hand, looking down.
"I guess my secret's out," Soda put his hand on my knee.
"Can you just drive?" I turned the other way. Soda looked hurt.

"Okay fine, forget it." Soda and I didn't talk for the rest of the ride. Did I really just reject Soda? I had liked him for the longest time now, and actually something happened and I don't care?
It was different though, Soda would have never ever kiss me if Sandy was still here. If anything we wouldn't even be on this date. 

"Soda, you literally were heartbroken about another girl a few hours ago. And now your suddenly kissing me?" 

"I said,to forget it. It's not a big deal. It's just a little kiss." Soda thought it was no big deal.

"well, its not just a little kiss to me. I have liked you Soda for as long as I have known you. But you chose Sandy over me. I'm not just some rebound to help get your mind off Sandy. "

"you like me y/n? How come you never told me?" Soda smiled a little.

"Yes I have, but why would I tell you when you were in a relationship?" I asked.

"You're right. And you are right about Sandy. I miss her, and I think it's not a good time to date after everything that has happened.  " Soda said as he turned on the car.

"when your ready, i will be waiting," I leaned over and kissed Soda on the cheek.