Chapter 27

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

3 weeks later...

Max and I were at the waiting room of Dr. Williams's office. Today was my appointment. Max sat next to me holding my hand in his with his arm over my shoulder. We both had taken the day off from work since my appointment was in the morning. Mia was having one of her girl days with Bliss, giving Mum a break. She was now officially an active an eager crawler and babbler at newly 9 months old.

This was Max's first doctor's appointment with me, ever. I wasn't sure if he was nervous or excited. I wanted to ask him but refrain myself from doing so. I wanted to let him think about this experience we were going through together and just figure out his emotions by his actions.

My name was called and Max's head turned to me. I gave his hand a reassuring squeeze as we entered Dr. William's office.

"Good morning, Ella" Dr. Williams greeted as we closed the door.

"Good morning" I replied. She stood up and shook our hands as we sat across her desk.

"I'm guessing you're the father of baby Mia and the little biscuit you guys are here for." She smiled as she spoke to Max. "Dr. Williams"

"Max Wilde. Pleasure to meet you" They shook hands, before he sat next to me and Dr. Williams typed something into her computer and turned to me.

"So, Ella, how's it going?" She questioned.

"Everything's been good so far. I've had morning sickness, the anti-nausea medication settles my stomach a bit. This is one has been worse than the one I had with Mia, for sure. And, of course, my breasts have been more sensitive and tender lately since they have started to swell a bit" Max's hand rested on my thigh as he sat next to me.

Dr. Williams's typed my response as she nodded at everything I told her. "Obviously, this is normal and not out of the ordinary as you may know. Why don't you head to the examination room and get ready for an ultrasound? We'll get to find out exactly how far you are and be able to give you a due date." I started to stand up as she said to Max, "You may go with her if she feels comfortable"

Max looked at me, giving me a questioning look. I nodded, assuring he could come with me. He stood up, settling his hand on the small of my back as we entered the examination room next to Dr. Williams's office.

"Nervous?" I asked Max as I laid down on the examination table, waiting for Dr. Williams.

"A bit," He confessed as he sat next to me, holding my hand and rubbing his thumb over my knuckles.

"Okay. Right here" Dr. Williams said, pointing at the screen. "You can see the head, the arms and legs" She said, gesturing each part of the baby's body from the screen. "You're at 10 weeks. The baby seems healthy so far. He or she is about 1.2 inches long and weighs about .14 ounces." She turned to look at me before asking, "You're far enough to hear the heartbeat. Would you both want to?"

My eyes went to Max. He nodded at the doctor and gave my hand a small, gentle squeeze. "Please"

She turned the audio of the monitor on and the sound instantly filled the room. My hand went to my mouth as my eyes watered. It was the first time I was hearing the heartbeat of our child with Max by my side. The moment I desired with my first pregnancy was happening now. A wave of different emotions crashed into me as he sat here, next to me. Contentment. Nostalgia. Overwhelm.

Max kissed my temple, whispering, "That's our baby"

His voice equally emotional as mine probably would have been if I had spoken.

I nodded at him as tried to hold the tears. Max's blue eyes were also glistening with unshed tears.

"I'm guessing, you'll want a picture. I'll print it out, have you guys get some privacy and get you cleaned up, Ella. We'll talk in my office after you get ready"

Dr. Williams did what she told us and exited the room. After she left the room, I sat up, sitting on the edge of the table. Max settled between my legs and hugged me. I knew we both needed to hold each other. My arms went around his neck as his arms went around my waist. I nuzzled my face in his neck as we held each other.

"I love you," I murmured against his skin, kissing it.

"I love you too," Max pulled back, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear before briefly kissing me. "Thank you for letting me come with you. It was one of the best moments in my life. Thank you and I'm sorry for everything"

A small tear escaped his eyes and rolled down his cheek. I caught it as my hands went to his face. I knew what he was apologizing for. Missing this same moment with Mia. I could feel the guilt eating away at him as he apologized.

"Forget about it." I said as I shook my head.

"Now that you're at 10 weeks and as your pregnancy progresses, you'll start getting tired more frequently. You're also started to show, your bump is becoming more visible as your belly curves. If you feel any pain in your abdomen, don't worry about it's just the baby putting pressure on your organs, veins, muscles and ligaments. Your veins would also become more prominent since they are providing extra blood. Your due date will be May 31st." Dr. Williams informed me. "If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask."

"For now, I don't think we have any." I answered, turning to look at Max, who shook his head assuring me he didn't have any either.

"Well, I'll see on your next appointment then." We stood to say goodbye and exited her office.

***

"How did she behave?" I asked as we picked Mia up from Bliss and Reeve's place.

"She was good, like always" Bliss answered, giving Mia a kiss on the cheek before handing her to me.

"Thank you for watching her" I said.

"Oh stop it, you know I'd watch her any time" Bliss said, shaking her hand in a dismissive way.

Before I could speak again the ringtone of Max's phone interrupted us. He looked at the screen and ignored the call, putting his phone back in his pocket. Seconds later, it started ringing again. He ignored the call, again, until the phone started ringtone for the third time. He groaned in frustration and excused himself to answer the call from the insistent person.

*** Max's POV ***

"What do you want?" I hissed into the phone's microphone as I answered.

Ava had been constantly calling my cellphone and office phone since I fired her three days ago.

"Tsk, tsk. Better not talk to me like that, Maxie. It won't be good," Ava replied.

"What do you want?" I repeated

"I want to see you" She answered immediately.

"It's not going to happen. Quit the calls or I'll file a harassment case against you" I threatened, hoping this time she'd give up.

"Trust me, you want to see me, Max. You don't know what I'm capable of when I don't get what I want." The line went silent, before she spoke again, "Just so you have a little more understanding, let's say I get rid of those who get in my way. No matter how old they are"

Ella. Mia. She was threatening me with my two weakest spots. Ava knew I would never live it out, if something happened to any of them. She knew I would take all the fault no matter what happened. I couldn't let that happen. I wouldn't let that happen.

"When and where?" I snarled, hoping that my decision was a good one.

I didn't know what I was getting myself into and, boy, was I right.