Chapter 19

CHAPTER NINETEEN

This weekend, we were spending time together. Just Mia, Max and me. I was finishing a snack in the kitchen when I joined Max and Mia in the living room. He was currently playing with her, several of Mia's toys scattered around them; dolls, plush toys, building blocks. Max was amusing Mia with one of her dolls. The voices and faces he made had Mia on a giggling fit Max ended up joining. Mia was a fast crawler which forced us watch her every movement 24/7. One second she was next to you then you blink and she was on the other side of the room. I settled the tray on the coffee table and sat on the floor, next to Max and Mia.

I leaned my head on his shoulder as I crossed my legs and watched Mia before speaking, "I called Dr. Williams and settled an appointment." I peered up at him as I finished talking.

"Great. Me and my little self are now happy" He grinned, somehow proud of his joke.

"Max!" I exclaimed, removing my head from his shoulder and hitting his bicep as I contained my giggle.

"What? It's true" He chuckled

"If say so but I'm pretty sure your so called 'little self' isn't so little" I joked back, not staying behind on the innuendos.

This time Max full-blown laughed at my comment. Maybe I shouldn't have said that but I couldn't help myself. "Okay, I think we better stop. As young as Mia is, I'm sure she doesn't appreciate this conversation" Max spoke as he played with Mia's little hands while having her between his legs. Mia let out a shriek as she entertained herself with Max.

"What?! You were the one who started it" I said between chuckles, returning my head to his shoulder.

Moments like this made me realize how much I loved living with Max and having him back in my and Mia's life. He was a great father, always worrying about our well-being and keeping us happy. His gestures encouraged me to reciprocate mine more frequently, letting him know how much I loved him and his attentiveness. His presence made me focus only on the here and now and how much I enjoyed it, instead of having me dwell on the past or worry about the future. I finally had completely let go and was living my days without worrying because after several months of him proving himself to me, I trusted Max again. Wholly. Most of the emotions we had lost that night were coming back.

"What are you thinking about?" Max murmured, retrieving me from my thoughts.

"How much I love you" I smiled, peering up at him.

He leaned down, connecting my lips to his. "I love you too" He whispered against my mouth before kissing me again. "A lot" He added, pecking me one last time. "You know that, right?" He asked as we pulled away, doubt starting to fill his face.

"Of course, I do" I leaned in and hugged me before whispering, "Why wouldn't I?" and kissing his soft spot, located below his jaw.

We pulled away and he answered, "Just making sure". He caressed my cheek before returning his attention to Mia, placing feather-like touches and tickling her bare feet causing her to giggle and wriggle under his touch. "So when is your appointment?" He asked, glancing towards me before returning his attention back to Mia.

"Monday afternoon" I paused before saying, "I talked to Bliss today. Reeve and her are having a dinner this week to discuss some things regarding their wedding since it's soon. You don't have anything that will keep you busy this week, do you?"

"I don't think so, no. But if anything comes up, I'll just reschedule it" He said, lightly smiling.

I smiled back at him and kissed him, placing my hand on the back of his neck, my fingers touching the hairs in the nape of his neck.