Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Beeeeeep goes the buzzer of the second period. I am so used to that sound it does not even make me flinch anymore. I am Shirley Stephenson, wife of professional hockey player Michael Stephenson. He is the captain of the Chicago Blackhawks even though he joined the team only a year ago. Chicago has always been our home, so we were very lucky that he got a contract here, especially in the year 2014 where there were so many elite players. The players begin to walk off the ice into the locker room. I wave to Mike trying to get his attention, but his face is stern and focused so I stop.

Most of the wives are at home watching the game on T.V. Some do not want to come because they get too nervous watching their husbands being repeatedly checked into the sides, and some, well they just get bored. I could not do what they do, though. I could not be at home,and watch my husband I had to be here. Even though I hate watching him being checked, I know it is what he loves to do and that is enough for me.

We met in our first year of high school. You could say it was the classic high school romance. I was the nerd and he was the jock. Even though he was the new kid he quickly became popular for his skills on the ice, and his handsome qualities such as his smile, blonde hair, and green eyes. He was also very smart being in all the AP classes with me, but he never showed it. I was an ice-skater. I won the state championship when I was 10,11,13 and all four years in high school. How we met was probably the most hilarious and romantic thing in our lives so far, well except our wedding of course.

It was after the first hockey game of the season. I thought everybody had gone home, so I went on to the ice to start practicing for a skating competition I had the next morning. So I was warming up in my costume for the competition to get used to it. It was a light green skirt with a matching top with green rhinestones. Anyway, I was practicing my figure 8s, working on my cantilevers which I was terrible at. I fell flat on back whilst doing one. I lay there a few seconds when Michael skates up behind me in his jeans and a blue sweatshirt. He looks down at me and smiles his million dollar smile that everyone says he has.

"You're not relaxed enough."

I push hair from my face,"How are you such an expert?"

I then flip over. I try to get up I fall again. He reaches his hand out and I grab it. He lifts me up and we almost kiss. He smiles again.

"So how are you an expert?" I said curiously.

"Well, before I played hockey I actually was a skater."

"Really, the big hockey player was a graceful ice skater?"

"I won the state championship when I was 9,10,11,12, and 13."

I look at him quizzically,"Well if you were so good why did you quit?" 

"Well, I guess it's because I moved, I wanted to recreate myself I guess, now about your cantilever: I shall demonstrate."

"You're wearing jeans, though."

He winked at me and said, "I know."

He skated into the middle of the rink and started.Skating, he went down in perfect form and performed a perfect cantilever with jeans. He skated back to me and smiled. I smiled back and said,

"Well, I guess you are an expert."

"Oh please."

"Thanks for the demonstration, but I have to leave now."

I was skating off when he grabbed my hand and pulled me back. He was so strong though that he pulled me too hard and I knocked into him making both of us fall. This time, we did kiss. Once we realized what happened we flipped off each other and stood up.

"Sorry about that Shirley."

"It's all... wait how do you know my name?"

"You're in all my classes' right."

"Yeah."

"Well, I learned your name there."

"You never talk to me, though."

"Yeah I know I really want to, though."

I gave a small chuckle and said,

"Why?"

"Well because you're the smartest girl in school, your nice and sweet and you're pretty too."

"Really?"

"Yeah." he blushed, "I guess it's your dazzling blue eyes that get me or it might be your beautiful brown hair."

I was about to skate away but at the last second, I rushed to him and pressed my lips against his. It was only a two-second kiss but when it was over we both looked at each other and smiled. I gave him my number and kissed him goodbye. When I was skating away, I knew I was in love with him.