For your Protection

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, well I wish I hadn't."

"Why do you say that?"

"She was staying with some friends of mine. They said she couldn't control herself and went crazy."

"They were vampires too?"

"Just some people Colleen slept with and turned before she met me."

I took a deep breath.

"Don't ask. It's complicated. Anyway, she said she couldn't feed off of other vampires. She had to get away. They said she ran out."

"We have to find her." I mumbled to myself.

"And how are we suppose to do that? I tried to trace her. Her scent is unfamiliar to me now."

"Easy. She'll never attack the same place twice. Trust me, I know how a new-bee operates. She'll attack locals. She'll be so scared and freaked out, she wouldn't dare leave her hometown."

"Okay, well how are we gonna leave to find her? People would start to notice our absence."

I cupped my chin, thinking hard.

"I got it! You'll go back to Colleen. Tell her you're going camping for awhile with your friends. Those vampire guys. You need some guy time. If she insists she come with you, tell her you'll make it up to her."

He nodded as if he was pleased with the plan.

"Okay, What about you and human boy?"

"I'll take care of Jayce."

His face twisted into a frown. "Jayce? We're on a first name basis now?"

"It's less suspicious that way." I shrugged.

"Sure." he lengthened the word.

I looked into his face and raised one brow.

"When was the last time you ate?"

"A few days ago. Why?"

"Are you still super sensitive to sunlight?"

"Obviously." he said.

With that said, I ran to the kitchen. I took a glass from the cupboard, and filled it to the rim with the sweet familiar liquid. Carefully and swiftly, I carried the glass to JT. He took it and began to drink. I watched as the blood swished inside of the glass.

"Thanks." he said. The glass was half full. The purple circles were gone, his lips and face began to turn rosy and fleshy.

"You need to sleep. You can sleep in my room. I have the windows covered, so that should be fine for you."

He left his glass and headed to my bedroom. There was something I just had to do. I fished for my phone in my jacket pocket and dialed numbers. The phone rang four times before someone picked it up.

"Hello?" Colleen's voice was raspy. Rough.

"Hi, cuz. Are you feeling okay?"

"No. I feel crappy." she said.

"I'm so sorry about Lily. We'll find her."

"I guess that was what Auntie Janet was talking about. Gettin too close to humans. It is painful."

I immediately thought about the conversation with my mother, then shuddered it off.

"Listen, Colleen. Don't listen to my mother. She doesn't know what the hell she's talking about. She's just jealous of what we have."

Silence from the big mouthed girl. Unbelieveable.

"You still there?"

"Uh-huh," she said, "I'm listening."