Jayce: I can't stay away from her

                "Son, what took you so damn long? You should've been here an hour ago."

                "I know dad. I'm sorry. I had something to take care of." I put dad's suitcase on the floor next to his feet. I looked into his eyes, and the familiar blue eyes I've always known to have so much life and spirit was now dying away. They had a dark presence in them. Mom was right. Dad has turned into an asshole. I don't think I'm prepared for what else he has in store for me.

                Dad walked over to his large oak desk and sat behind it. He didn't say a single word to either mom or me. We just stood in front of him like idiots. Nice one, Dad.

                "Mom, why do you put up with him?" I watched as she began to pull pots and pans from the cabinet.

                "I don't know, dear. You're father used to be so sweet. I don't know what happened."

                "He lost his freaking mind. That's what happened."

                "Well, honey you know you're father. He can be tough around the edges."

                "He's always tough around the edges, Mom."

                "I know." She mumbled.

                "Ever since Emily died, he's been hateful. He's changed."

                "Emily was his joy." She said. I could hear the pain in her voice.

                "She was yours too, Mom. She was all of ours. Em was our sun."

                "She still is, honey. She will always be." Mom wiped the tears on her sleeve. It breaks my heart to see my mom still massively hurt by losing my little sister.  Emily was so young and innocent. We all miss her a lot.

                Mom placed the pans on the heated stove and turned my direction. Her eyes were red and her cheeks were pink. I felt bad that she cried after nearly twenty years after Emily's death. 

                She cleared her throat and stared into my face for a brief moment.

                "What?" I shrugged.

                "I'm curious. How did you meet this Stephanie girl?"

                "On the road heading to the bookstore. She kept staring at me. It was creepy at first, then I thought it was cute. She reminded me so much of Emily." I smiled. Just talking about Stephanie makes me giggle like a girl.

                "How does she live? Have you met her family?" Mom completely forgot about the heated pans. They were beginning to give off more heat than they were suppose to. She turned off the stove and focused her attention back on me, and waited for my answer.

                "She lives in the suburbs of Joliet. About a few blocks away from here. She lives in this mansion type house, mom. I met her cousin and her boyfriend, her aunt and her husband. That's about it."

                "Did you meet her parents?"

                "No. I haven't."

                "Well, what are you waiting on?"

                "Stephanie. I'm waiting for her to give me the okay to meet her parents."