Monsters

Chapter 15: Guests

Days have passed without any calls from Jacob. He didn't even bother to explain to me what that was in the car a few nights ago. Bella has called asking if I had heard anything from him. I denied but didn't tell her about the kiss. The notes had me even more freaked out. Who was A? Is Adam my dad? If it is, is he alive? I tried to shake the thoughts away as I walked outside. A vehicle pulled into the driveway. A familiar face popped out of the car.

"Bye, mom. I will call you when I get kicked out." A voice said. I waited for the person to come around the car and show their face. The car pulled out of the driveway and revealed a very happy Seth. I raised my eyebrows and smiled.

"Hey, Seth." I greeted. He walked up with his hands in his pocket.

"Hi, Avery." He said in return. We went inside and discussed about random stuff. Seth talked about his family and school while I listened to every word. he rambled on about school and other things. He finally stopped talking and asked about me. I stood up and walked outside. He followed after me. I stepped outside and waited for him to catch up. He came up and towered over me. I pushed him away with a laugh and walked to the barn. His feet padded heavily on the ground as he trailed behind me. "So, what do you want to do?"

"Well, we can go for a walk." I offered. He nodded and walked beside me.

"Through the woods?" He asked. I nodded and started walking towards the woods. Seth walked the same pace so he stayed beside me. "Anything interesting happening in your life?"

"Actually, yes. One thing." I answered. He stared at me with his brown eyes.

"Go on, Avery. I want to hear it." Seth chirped with a smile. I looked ahead and sighed.

"It's Jacob." I said with a solemn look. "He kissed me. A few days ago, actually."

"What did you do?" Seth asked in a serious tone. I glanced at him and noticed that he lost his grin.

"I didn't do anything, really. I just closed my eyes and did nothing." I stated. Seth nodded and relaxed slightly.

"Maybe we should turn around. It looks like it is going to rain." Seth stated as he turned around. I turned around and jogged to catch.

"Seth, are you alright?" I asked worried. He wasn't smiling which made me shiver slightly.

"I am fine, Avery." He said with a fake smile. I placed my hand on his arm to stop him.

"Seth, tell me. What is wrong?" I asked trying to get answers out of him. He shrugged and continued walking.

"He is only going to hurt you, Avery." Seth said in disgust.

-
The rest of the walk was awkward and silent. Seth decided it would be best if he went home. I tried my best to get him to stay but he was too stubborn about it. He claimed that he needed to get home and eat dinner. I finally gave up and watched him walk away. I laid on my bed in a sour mood. I was upset about how he reacted. I shook my head and decided to go out to the barn. Rain pelted against my skin as my boots padded on the muddy ground. I pushed the doors open and stepped inside. I hopped on my fixed four-wheeler and turned the key. The engine roared as my hand touched the gas. I pressed down the gas as it took off. I followed the trail out into the woods. Trees zipped past me. My eyes continued to follow the trial. The four-wheeler came to a slow stop. I hopped off and walked towards the cliff. I sat down on the wet ground and let my legs dangle from the edge.

Memories of my dreams of standing on the edge of the cliff flashed through my mind. I hugged my jacket closer to keep warmth. I glanced up to the cloudy sky as rain continued to fall. Pelts of rain landed on my face. My head titled down as I watched the waves crash against the cliff. Thoughts ran through my mind. The thought of the notes ran through my mind. Why was I getting these notes? Do I have to piece the notes together to get a message out of them? I shook my head to get rid of the thoughts. I laid backwards on my back and closed my eyes.

-
I flinched awake at the sound of a violent wave crashing against the cliff. Rain was pouring from the sky. My body was freezing from sitting out in the rain. I sat up and sneezed.

"Idiot." I mumbled to myself. I zipped up my jacket and continued to shiver. My hands were frozen. I opened and closed them to keep them from actually freezing. I sat up and walked stiffly to my four-wheeler. I hopped on and raced back to the house. I tried to block out thoughts. Rain and wind pushed against my skin. The force of gravity kept pulling at my freezing body. The property finally came into view as I pressed on the gas more. I hopped off and pushed the vehicle back into the barn. I put everything back into place before closing the doors. I walked up to the house in the pouring rain. I opened the door and stepped in. The heat was on which I was thankful for. My boots slid off as I went into the kitchen. I checked the clock and noticed how late it was. I opened the door and grabbed something to eat. I shoved my face with a leftover sandwich that I had from earlier. I flicked the light on and turned around. I almost choked on my sandwich from the sight. A woman with brown hair sat at the table with a smirk plastered on her face. She looked like she was waiting for me.

"Hello, darling." She said. Her voice sounded like music to my ears. Looks can deceive, indeed.

"Who are you?" I asked as I stepped back. Her smirk grew wide as her finger clicked against the table.

"Let me give you a hint. A." She said. I gasped and placed my sandwich down.

"You're kind of a bitch, you know that?" I asked. The woman shrugged and smiled.

"The one and only." She replied. I rolled my eyes.

"Now, tell me. Who are you?" I asked wanting to know answers.

"Ouch, that hurts darling." She stated with a smirk.

"Just tell me." I demanded.

"Avery, it's me." She said. "Annabell."

--
OH MY GOD!! No words.

Vote, comment, and follow.

Smile everyday. Keep on turtling.

~Katie