Monsters

Chapter 5: Friend

"Why are you trying to protect me? I mean, I barely know you." I said. He glanced over at me and continued walking. I stayed right where I was and waited. I don't know why I am waiting. I just feel like I should stand here and wait. I watched Sam step out in the clearing holding on to the helpless girl.

"She is okay. She will be alright." He shouted out to everyone. Charlie ran over and grabbed Bella out of Sam's arms. My dad caught my eye as he rushed over to Sam.

"Where is my daughter?" My dad shouted in his face. Sam stepped back away from my father. I noticed the man from earlier staring at Sam. My dad gripped Sam on the shoulders and started shaking him violently.

"I don't know where your daughter is." He lied. His voice was calm. Too calm for me to understand. My dad shoved him back and started shaking his head. I felt my heart sink at the sight. Sam nodded towards the old man and walked back into the woods. I waited for Sam to reach the spot I was currently standing in. He brushed past me and continued walking deep in the forest. I hopped towards him and followed him.

"Where are we going?" I asked. My foot got caught by a stick. I fell forwards with a grunt.

"You are going home." He ordered. I stood up and brushed off the dirt.

"No way, did you see me back there? I can help you." I stated. I puffed out my chest like a man would. He stopped walking and looked back at me.

"I don't need your help." He said coldly before turning back around. I squinted my eyes.

"That's what they all say." I said lowly. A twig snapped in the distance. I glanced back and ran to catch up with the Uley boy. I placed my hand on his shoulder and sent him my award winning smile. His shoulder was warm. I took my hand off his shoulder.

"Your hand is colder than the vampires." Sam stated. I laughed awkwardly as I held my hand with my other.

"The doctor used to tease me that I was dead. At least, I think he was joking." I said as I looked up in thought. I tripped over a twig but caught myself.

"Are you always this clumsy?" He snapped. I flinched at his tone and gave him a look.

"Are you always this negative?" I snapped back. He started breathing heavily. I took out the daggers and waited for him to shift. His eyes landed on the daggers. His heartbeat gone down which made my ears twitch at the sound.

"You hear that?" He asked. I looked him in the eyes and nodded slowly.

"Yeah, is it normal that I can hear a shape-shifter's heartbeat?" I asked. He shook his head and sighed.

"No, it means that you have your mother's powers." He stated. I threw my head back and screamed.

"What does that even mean?" I shouted in his face.

"I will tell you when the time is right." He stated before walking away.

"When the time is right my a-"

"Avery, are you out here?" A voice from the distance called out.

"Shoot." I mumbled. I turned around to see Sam nowhere in sight. I cursed silently and took off running. The daggers were still placed in my hands as I ran. Something zipped past me going to my right. I came to a halt and turned right. My feet hit the ground softly. My clumsiness never interfered with my running. I stopped running so I could think. The daggers went back in the holsters. I grabbed my bow that was placed on my back. I grabbed an arrow from the quiver. I waited silently for my prey. A figure stood before me. I drew the bow back and waited. My fingers slipped as the arrow went straight towards my target that was running away. A grunt was heard from ahead.