Chapter 57

---------- Chapter 57 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I open my eyes and find myself about thirty feet away from the palace. I glance up at Haden who’s wearing a frustrated look.

               “Why are we here?” I ask.

               “Because I’m obviously too weak to get us just another forty feet further!” he sighs.

He flops down on the ground, closing his eyes.

The guards stationed at the front door hurry over to us, obviously assuming something is wrong with Haden.

               “My lord!” one exclaims, racing over to us.

Haden doesn’t even open his eyes, his shoulders are slumped and he looks the picture of miserable.

               “Are you alright, Your Highness?”

               “He’s fine,” I answer.

The guard gives me a challenging look as if asking what my authority is to be answering for His Highness.

I steel my gaze, and jut my chin out a little. Challenge me, will you?!

After a couple of moments of our infantile staring competition, the guard bows down grudgingly and walks back to his post.

I crouch down beside Haden, rubbing the back of his neck gently.

               “It’s alright, Hay.”

               “How is it alright, Skye?” he moans, dropping his face into his hands. “I can’t look after you, I can’t look after me, I can’t look after Persephone! I’m a failed boyfriend and I will be a failed king!”

               “Sweetie, your powers aren’t gone forever. It’s temporary. You’ll get them back. And when you do, you’ll be whole again,” I whisper.

               “How do you know I’ll get my powers back? What if I don’t?”

               “Then it doesn’t make you any less Haden then you were before. You’re an amazing person, Haden. And it’s not because you have powers, it’s because you’re genuinely kind, and nice and responsible. That’s what will make you a great king; with or without powers! And you’re already an amazing boyfriend. You really have to stop doubting yourself.”

               “You don’t understand, Skye. My powers were all I had. It defined who I was...and now that it’s gone...who is Haden Carter? He obviously can’t be a Reaper anymore,” he mutters.

               “Haden Carter is the young prince of Persephone. He’s destined for greatness and will one day be King and rule over his kingdom with kindness and compassion. He will lead his kingdom into an era of peace and prosperity and all because of the person he is. Nothing at all to do with his powers!” I insist, kissing him lightly.

               “Thank you,” he whispers against my lips, leaning in to deepen the kiss.

We pull apart and he pushes my hair back tenderly. “I love you. And thank you; you’ve made me stronger.”

               “I love you too, Hay. It’s the least I can do; you’ve done so much for me!”

               “And I’m sorry for ever doubting you. I should know that you’re one of the only people I can trust completely. I don’t know why...I just immediately thought...it wasn’t so much you. I was worried about Carter!” he mumbles.