Prologue

---------- Prologue --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Haden’s POV)   

“My lord? Am I boring you?”

The feminine voice so close to me nearly makes me jump in shock. It takes me a moment to remember that I’m at a ball. Stupid, extravagant, pretentious ball.

               “I’m sorry. I’m sure you’re a lovely young lady, but I’m not interested. My heart belongs to another,” I murmur truthfully.

The beautiful heiress looks at me with a crestfallen expression. I have to admit, I’m pretty much immune to the sad eyes and pouty lips. This has been happening very often unfortunately.

She throws me one last fleeting look before politely excusing herself. She walks through the crowd of dancers and disappears.

I sigh slightly watching another group of young ladies watch me. This is going to be an extremely long night.

               “Haden, what does Anastasia not have?” my mother moans, popping up by my side unexpectedly.

Mother has gotten it into her head that I’m lonely and therefore need a companion. She is of the opinion that Jessica – Skye – isn’t worth my time.

               “Mother, if I’ve told you once, I’ve told you a thousand times; I’m not interested. You can throw each and every eligible young lady in Persephone in my direction, I’ll never be interested. You know where my heart is,” I remind her quietly.

               “I do. But she’s a mortal, Haden! She will die eventually. You, my son, are an Enmortal. Your life will go on for centuries! Please, reconsider! Every single young lady present tonight has been carefully watched. All of them have at least one similar interest as you do. Give them a chance,” mum begs once again.

               “What is it you want me to do, mother? You want me to go out with one of these girls? Should I get her hopes up? Should I get your hopes up? But to what end? I will never be happy unless I’m with Jessica...Skye!” I moan, covering my face with my hands.

               “Honey, you can’t even remember her new name! It’s been 16 years, baby! Please, just let it go,” she continues.

               “Do you know she’s turning 17 today? I wish I could be there,” I whisper wistfully.

My mother huffs and stomps off, no doubt looking for my father. I can’t help it though, my life literally revolves around Skye’s. She’s the one I love! What does it matter that she doesn’t know me yet? Everything will be perfect. I know it!

               “Okay, so with Anastasia being rejected...that would bring today’s total to...?” Alex teases, holding out a glass of champagne for me. God knows I need it!

               “Funny. Did you send the present like I told you to?” I demand, my mind far, far away.

               “Yes, I did. Just like I do every single year! Can you relax?” he murmurs amusedly.

               “You try relaxing in my shoes,” I snap quietly.

               “Oo! Don’t look now, but I think the lovely Ms Katherine is heading your way,” Alex whispers tauntingly, quickly leaving me alone.

Great!

***

(Skylar’s POV)

               “Skye, are you gonna just sit in front of the TV all day long?” Connor asks impatiently. His messy blonde hair flops into his eyes making it almost impossible to notice his light blue eyes. He’s 18, a senior in school and a complete sports buff!