Chapter 59

---------- Chapter 59 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I lie down restlessly on Haden’s bed, waiting for him to come to the room.

He told me to go ahead, that he had to handle a couple of things before he could join me up here. I figured he’d take thirty minutes. Tops. So I brushed my hair to perfection, brushed my teeth, stepped into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt and I’ve been waiting ever since.

Just as I’m about to give up waiting for him, Haden walks through the door, smiling sheepishly at me.

               “I’m so sorry! You have no idea how longwinded some people can be!” he mutters, sitting down next to me on the bed.

I just smile at him vaguely, studying the beautiful ring on my finger.

It must have set him back a pretty penny. Then again, I don’t know just how wealthy this boy is. The ring is relatively simple, just like I prefer. It’s a plain silver band with my name intertwined with Haden’s engraved on the side. And right in the middle, sits a brilliant white diamond that sparkles even in the dim moonlight.

               “Do you like it? I was in a rush and I had no idea what you would like...I could change it! I’ll take you tomorrow and you can pick out whichever you like!” Haden mumbles, taking my hand gently in his.

               “No. No, I love it. How...when did you get it?”

               “This afternoon. When I left you in the meadow. I figured it would be the best time,” he admits.

               “Wait! But yesterday you were so against proposing! What made you change your mind?” I ask.

He smirks at me and lies back on the bed. “You did, of course. I mean...I suppose I was just afraid. But you were right, we love each other, what else should matter, right?”

I squirm uncomfortably. Whatever he may say, I know he didn’t want to propose. But he felt like he had to, for me.

I feel so bad.

               “Right. So it’s the night after we got engaged. I can think of a few things I’d rather be doing than talking about why I decided to propose,” he whispers huskily, wrapping his arms around my waist and gently pulling me back till I’m lying down beside him on the bed.

The next thing I know, he’s straddling me, his fingers tracing patterns along my exposed stomach.

               “Haden...” I whisper before he cuts me off, crashing his lips against mine.

               “Shh! Less talking,” he mumbles against my lips, smiling. He cradles my sides, stroking me gently.

He pulls off his jacket, tossing it to the side. I shakily unbutton his shirt and he tosses that aside too.

               “What if someone comes in?” I whisper, pulling away from his intoxicating lips.

               “Chill. Your parents don’t know where my room is, my parents can’t be bothered to walk all the way to come see me and anyone else will knock. Nobody will catch us!” he assures me, lifting my t-shirt off my head. He breaks the kiss for a moment, but his lips immediately return to mine, when the shirt is off.

               “I don’t-”

               “We’ll learn together!” he cuts me off, his voice husky and impatient.