Chapter 10

---------- Chapter 10 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

               “Callahan! Go get into your uniform!” Coach Mathers shouts from across the field where he’s training the football guys.

               “Yes sir!” I shout back, quickly running for the changing rooms.

I’m so freaking late! One of the teachers had me stay back to help clean the lab! Ugh!

I suck into the changing room and fumble with my locker until I finally get it open. Thinking nothing of it, I strip right there in the middle of the changing room and pull on my cheer uniform. In less than five minutes, I’m locking up the locker and running out of the changing rooms. I’m so late for practice!

Okay, so I have to admit, I did dilly dally around the field to see if Haden and Alexander were really going to try out for the football team. I heard try outs were this afternoon.

Stop obsessing over the guy!

I take a deep breath to clear my head before I run out to the field.

I suppose I should have been paying attention to where I was running. Had I been paying attention, perhaps I would have noticed Haden about twenty feet ahead of me, lacing up his shoes. But I didn’t. My mind was far too distracted with thoughts of Haden and my dream this morning to really register much else.

               “Skye!” Katie calls, making me turn to look at her. I wave at her and instead of waving back, she makes this huge motions. I stare at her confused, trying to figure out what she was trying to tell me. But I didn’t slow down either.

The next thing I know, a flash of dark hair catches my eyes. Only it’s too late. Haden stands up, swinging his arms around, warming up I suppose. He doesn’t notice me either.

In barely half a second, we collide and I get thrown backwards, landing on my ass with a thud. I hear Haden fall over as well.

It takes a moment before both of us are surrounded by the other cheerleaders and the football guys. But Haden’s already on his feet, holding a hand out to help me up.

               “I’m sorry Skylar! I didn’t realise you were there!” he mumbles apologetically, sincerity ringing in his voice. His legs are all muddy and he’s got a little bit of mud splattering on his face. And if you thought that would take away from his appeal, you would be so wrong! He looks amazing! Even more handsome, in fact, covered in mud and a little dirty.

Dixon pushes through the gathering crowd and crouches down by my side. “You alright sweetie?” he demands, brushing my hair out of my face.

I barely register Haden retracting his hand slowly, looking a cross between irritated and disappointed. What is this guy’s angle? Does he like me or something?

I take hold of Dixon’s hand and pull myself up, shaking my head slightly. Damn! Why did that hurt so much?! Is Haden’s body made out of metal or something?!

Maybe he’s just that buff, a small voice in my head mumbles.

“You okay sweetie?” Dixon repeats, wrapping an arm around my waist.

“Yeah...fine,” I mumble, plastering a reassuring smile on my face.

I dust myself off as best as I can...which really wasn’t all that well actually. Especially considering the fact that the field is all muddy and stuff. I’ll definitely have to soak my uniform tonight.