34~

Inside the little cottage was simple. A bed, a water storage, a wooden table with three seats, and a shelf of assorted things. "Say, sir, why are you out here?" Marcrya asked. "It's none of your business, girl." He said, scooping up water in a cup and placing it on the table in front of Marcrya. She grabbed it and took a few sips before placing it on the ground, letting Thuhnderheart drink the rest. The man eyed Thuhnderheart, not showing any expression. Marcrya smiled. "Thank you for the water. I shall leave now." She said, walking out after Thuhnderheart. "Wait!" He called. They both turned. "It's late. You can stay here. It gets dangerous at night." He said. "I appreciate your generosity, sir, but I can handle myself. Besides, Thuhnderheart's got my back." She said. The man exhaled through his nose. "You're really something." He muttered. Marcrya grinned. "Thank you, sir." "I actually need some help. Would you be willing to?" He asked. This caught Marcrya's attention. "What is it?" "Raids. Beasts have been through my house and they kept threatening to kill me if I don't give up something valuable. I had no choice but to give up my most valued possession. My wife's pendant. It was a gift." He said. Marcrya frowned. "Who are the beasts?" She asked. "They're griffins. Treasure stealers, they are. Pesky thieves!" He said. Marcrya nodded. "I promise to get your pendant back and stop the griffins' thievery." Marcrya vowed. The man smiled. "Most appreciated, girlie." He said. "Please, call me Marcrya. I don't like that nickname." She said. The man nodded. "I'm Lawrence. Lawrence Malthe. Pleasure to meet you, Marcrya." He introduced. "Likewise." Marcrya responded. She mounted Thuhnderheart and headed off. As Thuhnderheart trotted, he looked to Marcrya. "I don't intend to make promises I can't or won't keep. I will find the griffins and do what I have to do." She said, speeding Thuhnderheart up. After a while, they stopped near a small patch of greenery, if you can call it green, and Marcrya dismounted. She picked up a feather on the ground, holding it towards Thuhnderheart. "Can you find the owner?" She asked, mounting. He nodded, trotting off again, accelerating. Marcrya's eyes flicked left to right and right to left. Of all her senses, Marcrya's eyes were the most keen. She stopped Thuhnderheart once again. "Thuhnder, stay here and do not wander off." She said, dismounting. Taking out the wand from the satchel, Marcrya ran off. Thuhnderheart waited for her return. Marcrya explored the rocky forest. A canyon, more of. She saw scratch marks and noticed the agitation of the dust. "Either a huge gust of wind blew the dust away or a flying beast came by here." She said to herself. A feather lay nearby next to some more caught Marcrya's attention. She walked over there, picking it up. "Griffin feather." She noted. Looking up, a huge bundle of sticks, leaves, and other material lay on a ledge. Marcrya's eyes widened as a shriek echoed from the bundle.