Caught (Richie)

Today is June seventh. It’s been two weeks since I last saw Penny and the other girl. When they were drawing, the girl lay down on the cement and almost fell asleep. She looked so peaceful, enjoying the warm weather; I could tell she likes it outside. That’s why I can’t figure out why she hasn’t come out since.

      Most neighbors have gone over to meet the new family, but mine hasn’t. I keep begging my mom to go, but her answer is always no, she’s too busy. Then, of course, Billy teases me about why I want to go over there. Just like today.

      “Mom, can we please visit the neighbors today? Please?” The two of us are sitting in the kitchen. I’m eating my cheerios, and my mom slouches in her chair with her feet on the table and a cigarette hanging out of her mouth.

“For the last time, NO. I keep telling you, I’m too busy to go talk to some random people.” She takes a long drag from her cigarette before she continues. “What I don’t get is why you want to go over there so much.”

      “Because, Ma, haven’t you realized? Richie’s drooling over the new girl.” I wince as Billy speaks. I thought he left already. He laughs. My mom gives me a once over.

      “Is that so?” She doesn’t notice Billy grab a box of cigarettes from the shelf. As I glare at him, I can feel my ears turn red. My mother shakes me a little. “Answer me!”

      “Billy’s just being stupid! He doesn’t know what he’s talking about! I haven’t even met her!”

      “That doesn’t mean you’re not completely star-struck, lover-boy.” Billy sneers.

      “Shut up! I just want to be her friend! I’m not gonna go sneaking out with her after dark, Billy!” He glares at me, but I’m too angry to be scared. I glare back. My mom just looks annoyed.

      “Both of you just shut up and get outta my sight! I’m sick of your arguing! LEAVE!”

      “I’m gone.” Billy says, huffing out the front door. I fly upstairs to my room and throw myself on my bed. As soon as Billy’s truck is gone, I rush outside and slam my ball around the yard. I don’t care if it hits the house, I’m too angry.

      Of course, Billy was right. I’m head over heels for that girl, even though I’ve never met her. Why don’t I? Who’s gonna stop me? No one I know. I just want to know her name. How hard can it be? I just ring the doorbell and ask what her name is.

      I cant believe I’ve never thought of this before! In my excitement, I blast my ball out of the yard. It flies across the street to the girl’s house--right at one of the windows! Oh. My. Gosh. What did I just do?! I watch, horror struck as my ball bounces off the window and lands in the gutter!

      I’m about to bolt inside when the window I hit opens. A head peaks out. I turn to run when I hear the voice, clear as a bell.

      “Hey, you! Kid! Over there! Stop!!!” I freeze. Not because the voice told me to, but because I know, even though I’ve never heard it before, the voice belongs to Her.

      The next thing I know, the front door opens and the girl jogs across the street to where I stand, still frozen.

      “Who are you?” She asks. I turn.

      “Richie. Richie Jacobs.” I murmur, not looking at her, but past her. She notices.

      “Why won’t you look at me? Do I look that bad?” What? No, never! But then I look at her. She has dark circles under her eyes, which are red and strained. She’s paler than I remember her, too. “Were you crying?” She asks more gently.  Funny, I was about to ask her the same thing. I wonder why she would ask me that. I mean, how could I be upset while I’m talking to her? Besides, guys don’t cry. Then I remember what happened with my jerk brother. I touch my face. Oh crap! I turn around, so embarrassed.

“No. I’m fine.” I frantically wipe my face.

“It’s okay, you know,” she turns me to face her again, “I won’t tell anyone.” She adds mischivously. Now she’s going to keep secrets for me? This is getting worse by the second!

“What do you want anyway?” I grumble, my cheeks flushing. She snorts defensively.

“You’re the one who hit my window and woke me up.” She raises one eyebrow. “What is it you want?” I take a step back, shocked.“ You’re good.” I tell her. Here goes nothing. “What’s your name?” She blinks, not expecting my response to be so defenseless. She uncrosses her arms. 

“Mackenna. Mackenna Clark.” She thrusts her hand out to me. Tentatively, I take it. We do a funky swing with our hands that I think is supposed to be a shake. I look at out hands and she laughs. If it’s possible, my cheeks get even redder than they already are. I look up to see she is staring at me with those sparkling blue eyes.

“Nice to meet you, Richie.” She says.

“Nice to meet you, Mackenna.” I return. Mackenna.  The girl’s name is Mackenna. It’s beautiful.