Life Happens

Mackenna

     We just moved into our new house, and for an almost-teenager, I’m pretty excited! Soon, I can make new friends at Creekside Academy-the school I’m attending this fall. That’s only a couple of months away! I’ll be in sixth grade.

     My birthday was last week-I’m twelve. My party was really crowded because it was partially my birthday party, and partially a going away party for my family. At least, most of my family. April is already in college; she’s going to UCLA. One of the better things about this move is that she’s closer than she used to be.

     The worst part about today is that it’s raining, so I can’t go outside and play soccer. I love rain- it has a wonderful smell. But, my mother says I can’t go out in the rain here because it’s too cold and I’ll get sick. Unfortunately, she’s right-the rain is freezing. Colorado is nothing like Florida, where I used to live. There, it’s sunny and beautiful and the rain is amazingly warm. The only reason we moved to Colorado was because my mother got promoted, and moved way out here. I don’t know how long it’s going to be, but after long discussions, Daddy and I moved out here with her.

     It’s not like I don’t want to be here, and I’m not ungrateful for change, but in Florida all of my friends lived nearby. This neighborhood is full of old people. Even though they’re nice, I wish there were kids around so I could have someone my own age to talk to. That’s why I want to go to school so badly. Well, I also enjoy school but mostly because Daddy tells me that on Saturday the Jackson family is visiting, and they have a little girl my age. I hope we can be friends! Three more days, and we’ll see!

*    *    *    *    *    *    *

     Every day it rains. I’m starting to think we moved to Seattle! However, Thanks to my books, three days go by quickly.

     Early Saturday morning, I wake up and race to my window. The sun is up and shining! I rush downstairs to scarf my breakfast. Daddy’s already up, drinking his big mug of coffee and reading the newspaper.

     “In a hurry, Pumpkin?” He asks, grinning. I nod, my mouth full of cereal. I swallow.

     “I don’t want to waste any practice time!” I shove another spoonful in my mouth. Daddy chuckles at me.

     “It’s only seven thirty, Mackenna, I think you’ll have enough time.” I grin back.

     “You never know!” Daddy laughs. I love making Daddy laugh. His eyes shine and his dimples show as his guffaws fill the room.

     “Really Bun, wait a while. Give our new neighbors a chance to wake up before you start a racket with that ball of yours.” I roll my eyes. “Why don’t you read that novel Gram got you for your birthday?” I sigh. I want to go now! But I guess it is a little early, and I have been itching to start Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde...

     “Okay, okay. Only for an hour though!” I start upstairs, grumbling about solitary confinement. I hear Daddy chuckle below. I flop onto my bed, and settle into 19th century London.