Ninja (Richie)

I spend all day out in the front yard, hoping to catch a glimpse of that girl. I don’t go inside at all, not even to eat! I just sit on the grass or kick my ball around. I don’t want to miss her again. I cant take any chances. When I think about how I could have possibly missed her the day the family moved in, all I can think about is the one time I left to pee, so I haven’t done that all day either.

     At 2:07 p.m. my patience is rewarded. The door across the street opens and out comes Penny and her new friend. The friend is carrying a bucket of sidewalk chalk. As they wander down the driveway, the girl glances in my direction. I don’t know what comes over me, but I dive under the porch. When I peek out, the girl isn’t looking at me anymore. Instead, she’s talking to Penny. The girls start drawing.

     Ugh! I cant believe I just did that! She looked at me! Me! And I hid under my porch! Ugh, I’m such an idiot, and what’s worse is now she knows it!

     Grumbling at myself, I sit under my porch and watch the girls draw. Penny makes something that the other girl tries not to laugh at. But then she breaks into a fit of giggles. Oh! I want to hear her laugh again and again! Unfortunately, she composes herself and is once again focused on her drawing. I wonder what made her laugh. It would be so nice to be the cause of her laughter. And then I’m distracted by her hair. It’s much straighter than I remember it, but still, I am overwhelmed by the way it falls from her face and rests on her shoulders. The sunlight brings out whispers of red in it as pieces sway in the wind.

    I study her hair as long as I can, but then the girls are called inside. About ten minutes later, Mrs. Jackson arrives to take Penny home. I don’t see the other girl the rest of the day. But keeping my hopes up, I stay outside anyway. Plus, I don’t have anything better to do. Billy went to practice with his so-called band and mom passed out not too long ago. I can’t stop thinking about that girl. Sighing, I lay on the grass and close my eyes.

*    *    *    *    *    *    *

     I must have fallen asleep, because the next thing I know the alarm on my watch screeches that it’s nine thirty. I shield my eyes from the headlights of Billy’s truck rolling up the driveway. He kills the ignition and, walking to the door, notices me lying on the grass, groggy and disoriented.

     “What the hell are you doing? Are you trying to freeze your ass off?” My brother yanks me off the lawn and drags me inside, muttering all the way. “Go to bed.” He orders, then stomps to his own room and slams the door shut. For once, I do as he says, and collapse on my bed and imagine myself free-falling into icy blue oblivion.