Lost (Mackenna)

Penny comes over again. The whole day is a blur, we have so much fun! We decide we’re too old for Barbie’s, so we paint our nails instead as Penny tells me about Creekside Academy. Really, we talk and talk and talk all day! I tell her about my friend Alicia and the time we played ultimate Frisbee against her two older brothers. Penny tells me about her friend Jade who is away at dance camp this summer, but will be in our homeroom when school starts up again. Penny assures me that I’ll really like Jade, and we’ll all be best friends. I hope so! 

Around one, we are playing with each other’s hair. Penny’s cousin gave her a straightening iron for her birthday, and Penny wants to straighten my wild mess of hair. It looks so silky when it’s straight! When she is finished, Penny suggests we go outside. I’m afraid the outdoors will ruin my hair, but Penny explains that it will stay straight until I wash it. Besides, it’s been so long since I’ve been in the sunshine! 

We carry my bucket of sidewalk chalk down the driveway. It’s so warm when I sit on the cement, I close my eyes, take deep even breaths, and just feel the breeze on my skin. I sigh in content. Out of nowhere, Penny nudges me. I ignore her. 

“Mackenna,” she whispers, nudging me again. 

“What?” I open one eye, a little annoyed she disturbed my peace. 

“There’s a boy across the street, and he’s looking right this way!” I open both my eyes. 

“Really? Where?” My insides buzz with excitement. 

“Over there!” I turn my head in the direction Penny means, and barely catch a glimpse of a boy diving under into the bushes. 

“That’s funny,” I say quietly. Penny scooches closer to hear. “I saw that same boy, just this morning. I wonder what he’s still doing out here?” 

“Probably looking at you, silly!” Penny teases. I roll my eyes to say “yeah right!” But. What if he really was staring at me? But then I think of Penny, right next to me. No one would be staring at me if she was around. 

“I bet he was looking at you.” I say, plastering a smile on my face. She thinks about this for a second, then shrugs. 

“Maybe,” she says, then starts drawing a picture. I look at it carefully. It was an image of a boy diving into bushes. I cant help but laugh, and it sends us into another fit of giggles. 

The rest of the day is perfect. Penny and I spend a few hours on the driveway, drawing pictures, I drew a soccer ball zooming into a net, and Penny draws a ballerina twirling on stage. Her pictures are always better than mine, but that’s okay. 

Daddy calls us inside because Mr. Jackson will be here to pick Penny up in about ten minutes. As Penny leaves, I promise to teach her to play soccer if she will teach me how to dance. 

“That sounds like a fair trade to me,” Daddy says, “Penny, you’re welcome to come over any time you want.” He smiles at my friend. 

“Thanks, Mr. Clark,” Penny says. She looks at me, “See ya later, Mackenna! Call me!” 

“I will, promise!” I wave like a lunatic form the window as she leaves. 

* * * * * * 

Penny calls early the next morning. 

“Hey, Penny, how are you?” I hear strange noises in the background. “Where are you?” 

“I’m at the airport.” She says guiltily. The airport? 

“What? Why?” I nearly shriek into the phone. Why is Penny at the airport?! Where is she going?! Why didn’t she tell me?! 

“I didn’t know, Mackenna! My parents made it a surprise. We’re going to Paris for the rest of the summer. They just told me last night! Our flight leaves in half an hour.” I don’t say anything. I cant. I cant breathe. 

“Mackenna? Mackenna? Mackenna, please say something. I didn’t know, Mackenna, I’m so sorry! Please don’t be mad, I didn’t know! Mackenna? Hello? Are you there? Say something! Hello?” Penny’s cries are getting hysterical. I speak. Barely. 

“The whole summer?” 

“Yes! Oh, Mackenna, please don’t be upset! I didn’t know, I didn’t!” Penny starts sobbing. Daddy calls up to make sure everything’s all right. I tell him it’s fine, even though I’m also ready to break into tears. I stay calm for Penny’s sake. 

“Penny? Penny, It’s okay, I promise. I’m not mad. Shh, it’s all right. We’re fine, it’s fine. I’m not mad, and I know it’s not your fault. Shh, it’s okay.” I soothe. 

“Are you sure?” she sniffles. 

“I promise. Go have fun in Paris, okay? I’m fine here.” I pretend to be really excited for her. She doesnt detect any false note, and becomes ecstatic in a second. 

“I’ll write you every day! I’ll send you postcards, and I’ll bring you back a souvenir and everything! I promise!” She sounds relieved. I giggle. 

“Don’t forget to bring back pictures!” I say. She laughs too. 

“I won’t, promise! See you in September! Bye!” Penny hangs up the phone as I mumble ‘bye’. I ponder September as I sink to my floor. September. My only friend is gone for the entire summer. 

“Now what?!” I sob.