10

Litany's Pov

While Cookie is in the hallway signing my discharge papers I grab the bag of clothes she brought and walk out of the room. There is no way I am going home with her and Lucious. I just don't want to live with them.

I head out and catch a cab. I get out infront of Judy's house and use my key to get inside. Luckily, she isn't home. I go into her room and grab the bag full of money that Luscious gave her. I take out a few stacks and shove them in my purse before leaving.

I go to the park and call Rhea. "Where the fuck you at, Litany?" She demands.

"Let's go." I sigh.

"Go where?" She wonders. "Where you at?"

"I'm tired, Rhea. Let's go. Let's get out of here and go on vacation somewhere. I need a break."

"With what money, Litany? What the hell we go do? Where we gonna go?"

"Just pack you a bag and I'll call you when I'm down the street from Lucious's house. Just get ready." I tell her.

"Alrighy, but I don't like this." She sighs.

"See you soon."

******
"Where we going, Lit?" Rhea asks for the millionth time.

"Just shut up and ride." I tell her.

"We better not get caught up. I'm telling you." She demands.

"Just relax we here." I smile.

"Who's house is this?" She raises an eyebrow. I ignore her question and hop out the cab. I run up to the frontdoor and knock.

"Rhea? Litany?" Candace says as she opens the door. "What are you doing here?"

"I needed a break from the family and I thought my aunt wouldn't mind meeting me." I shrug.

"Your mama send you here?" She wonders.

"She don't know I'm here." I tell her.

"Get inside before somebody see y'all." She says. "I'll show you your rooms."

****
I walk into the room that Rhea is staying in. She has her earbuds in jamming to whatever song.

"Y'all should talk." I tell her as I yank an earbuds out.

"No way." Rhea says. "She said she wanted nothing to do with me."

"Let's talk at dinner. She said her family won't be here, so it will just be us."

"Fine, but I will swing on her if she says anything out of pocket."

******

"So how are you feeling Litany? I heard about your surgery." Candace wonders.

"I'm doing fine." I say before shoving a mouthful of pasta into my mouth so I wouldn't have to say as anymore.

"Where is your family?" Rhea asks.

"My husband is out of town on business and Brianna and Franklin are at school. They're in college." Candace smiles.

"Such a loving family." Rhea says sarcastically.

"They are really great." Candace says. "Litany you should come by to meet them one day."

"Or right now." I hear. I turn around and see a light skinned girl with curly brown hair. "Hey mom."

"Brianna, what are you doing home so early?" Candace asks.

"I don't have any classes for the rest of the week." Brianna smiles. "Who is this?"

"This is your cousin Litany and her friend, Rhea." Candace lies.

"Friend?" Rhea raises an eyebrow.

"Yes." Candace says harshly.

"Nice to meet you. I heard about your illness." Brianna says to me.

"Nice to meet you too." I say.

"What brings you here? Where is aunt Cookie?" She wonders.

"She's at home working like usual." I lie.

"I think we should head home." Rhea says.

"Why? Don't leave because I'm here." Brianna says.

"Sweetheart I think it's best if they leave. We can have quality mother daughter time like the old days." Candace smiles.

"How could you do that without both your daughters?" Rhea asks. Oh no. This is bad.

"I have a brother not a sister." Brianna laughs.

"Exactly." Candace says.

"I'm right here and last time I checked you are my mother." Rhea demands. "Not that you ever raised me."

"Mom what is she talking about?" Brianna demands.

"Bri, baby it was a mistake that I made a long time ago." Candace sighs.

"So I'm a mistake?" Rhea asks.

"That's not what she's saying." Brianna explains.

"I should have never cheated on my husband with that low life and created you." Candace says harshly.

"Let's go Litany. We are out of here." Rhea demands as she runs upstairs.

I run after her. "I'm sorry." I tell her.

"It's not your fault my mother doesn't love me." She cries.

"Can I talk to you?" Brianna wonders. "Litany can you give us a moment?"

I nod and go into the hallway. I lean against the door and try to overhear their conversation. My phone starts to ring in the other room, so I rush to it.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Where are you?" Tiana wonders. "Your family has been calling me nonstop. Please go home."

"Don't tell me what to do. You have no control over what I do with my life." I demand.

"Litany, please go home." She begs.

"Why? It doesn't matter to you."

"Your safety matters to me. Please go home. It's best if you go home."

"How about you ju-" I stop talking and stare at the door as Cookie walks in. "I have to go. Don't call me anymore." I say before hanging up.

"Fighting with your little girlfriend?" Cookie raises an eyebrow.

"That's none of your business. Why are you here?" I demand.

"Don't sass me little girl. You may not like it or accept it, but I am your mother. You got Candace calling me telling me how you and Rhea up here stiring up problems."

"We didn't even do anything wrong. You and your sister are the ones doing everything wrong." I demand.

"Once you're a mother you will understand people do what it takes to protect their children. Now grab your shit and let's go."

"I wish I never would have found you." I say harshly.