Chapter 26 - And We're Back

Chapter 26

Slowly I opened my eyes, sunlight streamed in and immediately I tried to cover them. When I tried to pull my arms up to shield my eyes something tightened around them. I looked down to see Paige hugging my arms tightly.

“Hi Brooke” some said from behind me, I screamed waking Paige up as she fell on the floor. I tumble down onto her and we groan as I see Mackenzie and Maddie laughing and the moms standing up trying to see what was going on.

“Maddie!” I scream scrambling to my feet and chasing Maddie down the bus.

“Mackenzie!” I hear Paige yell.

I corner Maddie in the back seat blocking her exit. I grab her and being to tickle her she yelled for me to stop but I just grinned down at her and continued to tickle her. I stop and sit down next to her she sits up and glares at me while fixing her hair, I smiled at her innocently. I looked up for Paige and I saw Kelly scolding her.

I got up and walked to where they were “You don’t run on a bus” Kelly said to Paige

“But mom we were just playing” Paige said back

“No. You know better than to run on a bus” Kelly’s tone made sure there was no room for argument. I was going to try anyway.

“It was my fault” I stepped in.

“Really?” Kelly asked she didn’t believe me.

“Yes, why would I say it if it’s not true?” I replied

“I could think of a few reasons” Kelly said

“Go sit by Chloe down the back” I whispered ever so slightly to Paige who slowly slipped away. “What kind of reasons? I can’t think of any. So why were you upset last night?” I changed topics.

“When where you upset?” Mom asked looking over the seat.

I sat down on the seat next to Kelly she looked at me sceptically “Last night when I stomped away” I looked at Kelly then at mom, she looked confused.

“Oh, after the phone incident. Well I didn’t know what happened I couldn’t hear what he said” Kelly replied

“When was this?” Mom asked looking more confused than ever.

I sighed “Last night after everyone was asleep Kelly and I were the only one up so we had a nice chat and then Randy called. It was very convenient really, anyway I talked to Randy” Mom looked confused when I said Randy “He’s my birth father, well I talked to him and then Josh, who said something that made me mad and I stomped off up to the front of the bus where Paige and I slept.”

Mom smiled and shook her head “Sometimes I worry about you Brooke.” I smiled at her

“I know” I smirk before relaxing back in the chair. It’s funny the last time I was on a bus it had been awkward and tense between Kelly and I and now it wasn’t. I pulled my phone out and looked at the time we had about an hour and a half until we got back to the studio so I decided to get my other cookies. I leant over the seat and rummaged through moms bag until I found my other packet of cookies. I sat back down and began to eat one.

“Are cookies really good for you at this time of the morning?” Kelly asked smiling at me.

“No probably not” I replied finishing my first cookie and grabbing another one out.

“But you’re going to eat them anyway. That’s very… Josh of you” she paused before saying Josh, I guess she was trying to think of a word.

“He likes cookies too?” I asked

“No, he eats what he wants whenever he wants” I laugh and start to choke on the cookie. Mom hands me some water over the seat and I chug it down.

“Brooke” I turned towards Abby “When we get back to the studio I want you to go help Gia teach the summer break junior jazz program, I just got a text from her saying the studio has been swamped and she and the other teachers have been drowning in classes”

“Okay” I replied, I put my headphones in and lead back against the seat. I closed my eyes and listened to my music.

Soon enough Abby was yelling at everyone to pack up their things because we would be back at the studio in about 10 minutes. I grabbed my things from up the front of the bus, I made sure I had everything before heading back down the aisle, Paige and Chloe where already sitting next to mom and Kelly so I sat next to Abby.

We pulled up into the studio parking lot that was filled with a lot more cars than usual. We hopped off the bus and made our way into the studio, the entrance was filled with people all shouting at Gia who was behind the front desk trying her best to tend to everyone’s needs.

Abby grabbed my arm “Can you get through and get everyone to calm down?” She asked

I pulled up some imaginary sleeves and mock saluted Abby “I can try. Sir!” Abby smiled, I pulled my bag off my shoulder and handed it to mom. “Your hero is coming Gia!” I shouted over everyone and began to make my way to the front desk.

Somehow I managed to crawl into the desk entrance panting with my hand over my heart, Gia pulled me to my feet and went back to the swarm of people still here.

“I could do with some help please Brooke” Gia said scrambling around the small area trying to grab things and talk to people, who were getting impatient and yelling.

“That’s what I’m doing” I replied climbing onto the ledge of the desk and no-one paid attention to me except Abby, the moms and the girls.

I attempted to whistle to get everyone’s attention but I forgot I couldn’t whistle so I did the next best thing, I screamed.