Chapter 22 - Group and Trio

Chapter 22

Mom was yelling at me and Chloe to get up. Chloe grumbled into her pillow while she stretched successfully hitting me in the face. I glared at her head that was face down in her pillow, I kicked her under the covers. I blew hair out of my face and pulled the covers off my body. I walked into the small bathroom and had a shower. I came out and Chloe went in, I grabbed a lose shirt and trackies and shoved them on and did my hair in a messy bun. I would do it at the competition for the dances.

I packed up my things ready for the competition and set it by the door with Chloe's and moms. I laid down on the bed and shoved my headphones in and waited for mom and Chloe to be ready.

I checked the time as we left the room 6:30 we went and had breakfast in the restaurant. We meet everyone in the lobby at 7 it was awkward again, I avoided eye contact with Kelly and Abby. 

We had a 10 minute walk to the competition it was only round the corner. We walked into our dressing room which was fairly big, enough to practice our dance.

"Okay girls, first we have the group dance, then the trio and last the solos! Everyone get ready! We have an hour!" Abby yelled, everyone set up their make-up tables and began getting ready for the group dance, Chloe and I sat in front of our make-up table. Mom did my hair while Chloe put on her makeup we then switched and mom did Chloe's hair while I did my make-up.

"Brooke, come here please once you've finished your make-up" I heard Abby yell from her spot across the room. I finished my make-up and walked over to Abby.

"Yes miss Abby?" I asked 

"Here." She said and held up a costume, I was blown away it was amazing it was a basic black two piece leotard with silver sparkles around it. I gasped when she showed it to me, I stared wide eyed at it.

It was Melissa who spoke “What’s that Abby?”

Abby looked over at her at the same time as I did “Brooke’s solo costume” she replied.

“I didn’t know Brooke was doing a solo” Mom said while she touched up Chloe’s hair.

“I know” Abby replied “I didn’t want anyone to know. Girls hurry up and finish getting ready we have to run the dance” I went and put on my dress for The Last Text. I touched up my make-up and hair before waiting with the other girls to practice, we had half an hour until we had to be back stage and after that we only had 15 minutes to get back to the dressing room and change into our trio costumes. We would have to run. We put the costumes on the chairs so we could shove them on and run back to the stage.

We ran the dance 4 times before the stage assistant said we had to be at the stage now. We all walked backstage while the moms and Abby went and sat in the audience. We all prepared to go on, we all stood in the wings when they called us ‘Next to the stage in the junior small group division we have ‘The Abby Lee Dance Company’ with ‘The Last Text’.

We performed and walked off stage and Chloe, Paige and I sprinted back to the dressing room. The other girls where close behind. We all quickly pulled the costumes on and touched up our hair and make-up before racing back to the stage. We got back to the stage with 5 minutes to spare so we made sure our hair and make-up still looked alright. The other girls had gone into the audience to watch, we stood in the wings. I squeezed both their hands and gave them reassuring smiles. They called us and Chloe and I walked out.

Chloe and I did our little duet bit before Paige can out and we did ours, we came together and finished the dance. As we got up and left the stage I saw almost everyone in the audience on their feet clapping.

Once we were out in the wings we had a group hug and slowly walked back to the dressing room. Everyone was waiting for us in the dressing room, the all cheered when we walked in. Abby came over and hugged all 3 of us.

“That was amazing girls, you looked like professional dancers” Abby beamed at us “now for solos! We have 45 minutes before solo so girls stay stretched and go put on your costumes!” she said.

After Maddie and Kendall put their costumes on it was my turn, I went behind the curtain and put on my costume. I stepped out and was met by silence, everyone was staring wide eyes at my costume.

“You look beautiful” Kelly whispered breaking the silence

“Thanks” I replied rather awkwardly. Mom came over and hugged me before she started to fix my hair. She was done and I went and touched up my make-up, I noticed Kelly was looking at me, you could feel the awkwardness, I refused to look at her so I concentrated on finishing my make-up. I looked up and saw her still staring at me, I didn’t look away this time, I stared into her eyes. I saw pain, loss and sadness. She was the one who looked away this time, the turned around and concentrated her attention on Paige.

I suddenly got really mad, I was mad that she wouldn’t talk to me. I’m her daughter too. Even if I didn’t know until a few days ago. Why wouldn’t she talk to me? Was it because no-one new she was my birth mom? I could fix that.

“Some I figure you all realised there has been a large amount of awkwardness over the past few days and are wondering why” I shouted getting everyone’s attention.

“Brooke don’t do this –” Abby started but I cut her off

“The reason I’ve been annoyed and mad, the reason I screamed at Abby the other day, the reason we left dance early, the reason Chloe, Paige and I were chosen for the trio –”

“Don’t do it” I heard Kelly say, everyone was waiting for me to finish

“The reason is, just so you all know is the fact the Kelly is my birth mother and she refuses to talk to me!” I let all my anger out and I scream the last part and walk out the door slamming it behind me before running back stage. I asked the stage director how long until the juniors from the Abby Lee Dance Company perform he said they had 5 minutes as they were after each other he also said I had 15 until mine. I sat on the floor and waited for Maddie and Kendall to show up, the turned up a few seconds later and bombarded me with questions.