Chapter 5 - The Bus Ride

Chapter 5

I ran into studio A where everyone was waiting for me, we ran through the dance a few times and I just ignored the pain. We had a brake and I decided I needed to go up and see mom, I hadn’t seen her for most of the day.

I walked up into the viewing room where I knew Mom would be. “Hey Brookie brat” Mom sang as I sat down next to her. “How’s your hip?”

“Fine” I replied, I was watching Mackenzie practice her solo, it had a lot of acro but it was a cute number. Mom waved her hand in front of my face.

“What?” I asked turning my attention to her.

“I said, are you ready for the competition?” I nodded

“Mackenzie was so excited when she found out you were coming” Melissa said to me, I smiled “you know she really looks up to you, all those kids do. All I hear is ‘I wanna be like Brooke’” The other Moms nodded in agreement.

“I love them” I said, I frowned when I saw Abby yell at Mackenzie. Abby pointed to me and motioned to come down into the studio “I’m being summoned.” I stated and the Moms laughed, I made my way down into studio B where Abby was correcting Mackenzie on her walking handstand. She told me to show Mackenzie how I did it, which I did. Then Mackenzie applied the corrections, when Abby clapped and told her she was proud of her Mackenzie jumped into my arms, I spun her around while she squealed. Just then Gia came in and told Abby the bus was here, she told us to go get everyone and tell them to meet outside with their luggage.

Mackenzie and I ran around to studios A & C and told everyone to meet outside, we ran up to the viewing room and told our Moms the bus was here, we grabbed our luggage and waited outside the studio for Abby. I saw Paige’s Mom get in her car and drive off, I would have thought she would have come with us.

“Why isn’t Paige’s mom coming?” I asked Mom as Abby walked out of the studio lugging her suitcase behind her. Gia wasn’t coming to this competition because Abby wanted her to run the studio.

“Not sure, I think she said something about something important for her son.” Mom replied.

We piled onto the bus, I sat up the back with Maddie and Mackenzie, we were going to New York so it was a 6 hour bus ride.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and texted some friends, I knew when Nick would be on his break so I decided to text him. Mackenzie was laying on my lap asleep and Maddie was laying on my shoulder.

Brooke - ‘Nick! The bus ride is so boring!’ 

Nick - ‘Brooke! Class is so boring without you!’

Brooke - ‘I know ;)’

Nick - ‘How you holding up?’

Brooke - ‘Fine, I just really needed someone to talk to about it.’

Nick - ‘If you ever need anyone to talk to about it, I’m here’

Brooke - ‘Thanks Nick, it’s just so surreal, that fact that moms not my real mom’

Nick - ‘That’s usually how adoption works :P I have to get back to class, ill text you when I’m out’

I locked my phone and laid back against the chair, I looked around everyone was engrossed in their phones, Nia and Kendall both where texting in the seats up the front. Chloe and Paige where listening to music and taking photos in the seats across from us. The senior company where scattered in the front of us, all on their phones, on twitter or facebook.