Chapter 18- insight on the out of sight.

Grace

Ive been at the cancer centre all day with Des.
Its been three whole weeks since we've been gone, and nothings changed with her situation.
Except for the fact that she's awake.

Thank God.

I kiss my rosary repeatedly.

But the cancer is no better . They're still running tests, and using big words I don't understand...but I'm doing my best to keep my faith strong.

"Mama...explain to me again why my husband and kids havent been to see me."She sobs.

I swallow hard and try to keep a calm face.

"Mami."I smile stroking her face. "He's caught up with the Ernest thing sweet heart-"

"Yea I get that, but he usually here everyday."She grumbles. "God and these stupid sheets itches, I dont know why they changed my room either"

I sigh.

Right....
The sheets.

"Nurse."I call out and seconds later Naomi, our Asian nurse, in her twenties was here.

"Yes, may I help?"she smiles.

"These goddamn sheets itch!-what happened to the old ones?" Des asks.

My heart beat races as I watch the lips of the young woman about to move and her brows knitted with confusion.

"Uhhh-sweet heart, I may just be your medz acting up." I say quickly.

She looks at us both confused.

"Maybe, I guess."She sighs, kicking them off the bed.

Nurse Naomi takes them up.

"I'll see what I can do about some new ones Mrs Pierce."She smiles.

Destiny nods and I sigh with relief.She has no idea where she is....as far as she knows, we are in a different hospital room in ATL.

I can't let her find out she's not in Atlanta, or that I "stole" her away...
Ive been lying to her, and its hard to keep up.
But theyre so close in figuring out how exactly to tackle this disease.

And I bet Brandon is on his A game to try and erase the issues.Especially after he read my letter I'm sure....I intentionally made it hit him hard so he could do what he needed to do...for my grandkids...and my daughter, and essentially himself and this whole family.

We cant lose anymore.

"Mom why does this phone keep saying Brandon's phone is unavailable? "She sighs.

I blocked it...and everyone elses number....and changed hers, but kept her contacts....
I even went  as far as to change her first name when admitting her,still Pierce, but a totally made up first name, just in case Brandon was using  his fancy technology  to track us.

I need her to stop this.

"Hey, give me the phone. "I say taking it from her.

Her brows knit up.

"But mamaa, I was using that! Dios mios!"she sighs.

"Si, si, whatever."I sigh."You need to keep the stress at bay."

"Mama I need to know where he is, this isnt like him."She palms her face as the tears came. "I miss my babies, and I miss my husband mama, I just want him to answer his phone-"

I stroke her cheek.
It was killing me to see her this way.

"Ive been awake two days maa, and nothing. "She cries. "I know he's busy, I know...but-"