Chapter 29

Cole's pov:

The next morning was a little bit hectic than usual, because my alarm clock didn't go off, so we winded up being 15 minutes late to school. Well, actually, it was more than that since I had to explain to Timmy, Keira, and Ben's teacher's why we were late. So once we got to school, it was second block, which was both good and bad. Good, because that meant we had two classes left before we could go home. Bad, because second block was English, which meant I had to deal with Mr. Parker. And you know how he is always on my ass. "Mr. Parker, I apologize. My alarm clock didn't go off, and I had to drop my siblings off, then explain to their teachers why we were late. I'm not lying, I promise." I said as he raised his eyebrow and gave me a look. "Don't you think if I was lying, I would have come up with something better?" I asked annoyed and he rolled his eyes at bed, but let me off with a warning. I sighed in relief as I made my way to my desk and sat down. Scarlet decided that she could do without me today, so I let her go, but made her promise that if anything happened to leave class and come find me and I would take care of the problem. After school was over, we all met in the parking lot and went to go pick up the little kids from school, and thankfully, nothing happened to them this time, so we were able to go home without any complications. We did our usual routine and soon enough it was time for Autumn and I to go to work like usual. Once we got home from work, we both went to bed with our work clothes on. There was so many people there, we had to close an hour and a half later than we usually do, so when we got home, we were basically two hours late, and everyone was in bed. I kicked my shoes and socks off before laying down on the bed and going to sleep.

Timmy's pov:

The next morning I woke up with a headache and realized that today was Thursday and we had one more day to go before Thanksgiving Break officially began. I had put an alarm on my clock, just in case Cole forgot again. Even though I had a headache right now and we had our devil family coming, I was just glad that I would be out of school for a week. I got Ben up and we both got dressed before heading downstairs. When we got to the kitchen, Cole was nowhere to be found. "Hmm, that's weird." I told Ben as we sneaked into Cole's bedroom and saw them both sleeping, but they had their work clothes on. I motioned for Ben to follow me and we went upstairs to wake Scarlet and Keira up. "Timmy, what are you doing up? Where is Cole?" Scarlet asked as she got up out the bed. "Looks like him and Autumn crash landed last night. I went to the kitchen and Cole wasn't there, so I checked his room, and found him and Autumn laid literally on top of the bed, in their work clothes." I say and Ben nods and says, "Yeah, I saw it too." "Okay, well, I'll cook breakfast and we will leave them alone. They have to be pretty tired if Cole forgot to set the alarm." Scarlet says as we nodded and left the room so they could get dressed. Ben and I helped Scarlet, by setting up the table and getting the drinks ready. Scarlet came down a few minutes later, and began to cook some eggs and some pancakes, while Keira and I made the bacon and Ben sat at the table. Once we got everything ready, we sat down and ate, but not before saying grace. We all sat in silence until I said, "This feels weird. I guess I'm just use to Cole being here." And the rest of my siblings nodded agreeing with me. A few minutes later, Cole comes running in the kitchen until he saw us at the table. He let out a sigh of relief and said, "Why didn't you guys wake me up?" He sounded like he was offended and I wanted to laugh, but I knew now wasn't the time to do that. "Well, Ben and I saw that you weren't in the kitchen, so we went to your room and saw you guys passed out on the bed. I told Scarlet and we all pitched in to make breakfast. You look half-dead man. What happened?" I explained as he nodded and stood at the bar, but put his head down and closed his eyes. "I feel like I have been hit by a bus, and work. Work happened. We had so many people come in last night, we got home 2 hours later than usual." Cole explained and we nodded understanding. "We have some food for you." Scarlet says but he immediately replies and says, "Not hungry." I frowned and looked at Scarlet and we both hoped that this wouldn't be last time. Last time something like this happened, Cole ended up in the emergency room, dehydrated and he almost lost us. Cole had been up all night working, came home in time to cook us breakfast, we went to school, came home, he cooked us dinner, went back to work, etc. and this was the routine for almost a week. We didn't notice that Cole had basically stopped eating and had less sleep, so it had taken a toll on his body, which is how we ended up in the emergency room. This happened several times, but the last one was the worst. Since it wasn't the first time it happened, they called social services and it got ugly, real bad, real fast. Somehow they decided to let us stay with him, only if he promised to let them come and make sure we were alright once a month. Eventually, they stopped and haven't been back since. I'm hoping we don't go through this again. "Cole, I think you should eat something, you remembered what happened last time, right?" Scarlet says and Cole's eyes shot open. He came over and got a piece of bacon before disappearing to his room. He came out a few minutes later with some different clothes on. "You guys, ready?" Cole asked and we nodded. "Scarlet, you're driving." Cole says while tossing her the keys. She caught them and we all went outside. "What about Autumn?" I asked as we piled into the car. "I'm going to let her sleep. She needs it." Cole says as he leans back and closes his eyes. We didn't bother him for the rest of the ride to school only to wake him up when we got there. Once Scarlet had dropped us off, we went to our classes and went about our day.