"Good morning, Violet," he said upbeat.

"I hope so. Is everything okay?"

"Do you know a John Finch?"

"Yes I do," she answered a bit stunned.

"Well is this him?"

The officer opened the door and there in the back seat of his parked patrol car was John looking both hassled and relieved.

Gleason took Violet's surprised smile as positive identification. He strolled down the front walkway and let John out.

"Now, before you say you've never seen me before in your life –" John began.

"That's him," Violet confirmed unable to hide her joy.

"Found him lurking around your sister's place," Gleason said. "Can't be too careful about stalkers."

John shook hands with the officer as they swapped places. "Thanks for the ride," he said.

"Glad I didn't have to cuff you. You and your family enjoy the rest of your day now, Violet."

"Say hi to Joanie for us," said Violet, almost forgetting the muffins. "Happy New Year."

Violet shut the door. Alone in the front hall, all Violet could do was stare at John in disbelief. "What are you doing here?" she asked hopefully.

"Just so we're clear..." John leaned in and kissed her sweetly, perfectly.

"How dare you?" Violet whispered breathlessly.

"Oh-ho!" John laughed, grabbing her playfully by the collar. Then Violet returned the kiss quickly before he brought her face back to his and kissed away months of misunderstanding for good. They held each other happily.

"Elsa?" he asked. "Are you nuts? I told you we weren't dating."

"You didn't really," Violet said.

A look of puzzled amusement crossed his face. "I thought I did." Violet shrugged sheepishly. "I knew something was up! She harassed me into dragging her to that party.  I thought she was shopping for a sugar-daddy or something."

"She told me you were sleeping together."

"She told me you were pocketing the dance money and had your hand down Bob's pants! I told her you would never steal. All lies, Violet." He paused to be sure she knew he was telling the truth. "I could never be with someone like that and if I'd known that's why you were upset...is it bad to say I would've been over the moon about it?"

Violet's blush gave her every desire away. "I didn't know what to think.  It was a confusing goodbye."

He held her closer to him, his tenderness a comfort. 

"I guess I didn't want to say the wrong thing," he admitted. "We've had trouble in the communication department, or haven't you noticed?"

"Then tell me, what's John-speak for 'kiss me again'?"

A handsome smile answered her first. Violet had never been happier.  "It's 'C'mere'," he said.  

They kissed again, deeply, as if from then on their lips should always gravitate towards each other's when not otherwise engaged. 

"I'm really glad you called," he said. He smelled her hair. "Are you wearing maple syrup?"

"Yes."

"I'm starving."

"Come in," she said trying to lead him but he resisted.

"No. Listen, I know you're with your family and I don't want to interrupt. I wanted to get here as soon as I could but I've been on a plane for a day and a half and I look it. This is not how I usually make an entrance."